from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A phenomenon that becomes popular for a very short time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hobby ; freak; whim.
- n. a practise followed enthusiastically by a number of people for a limited period of time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To be busy with trifles.
- n. A trivial fancy adopted and pursued for a time with irrational zeal; a matter of no importance, or an important matter imperfectly understood, taken up, and urged with more zeal than sense; a whim; a crotchet; a temporary hobby.
- n. A person of whims; one who is difficult to please.
- n. A bundle of straw.
- n. A colored ball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an interest followed with exaggerated zeal
It simply means that he must give up some other fad or fancy and take up with this last, which, be it here reiterated, is no _fad_.
But as soon as the rifle had flashed there was the _fad, fad, fad_ of hurried steps, something whizzed in at the window, and with
Beach-related motifs are very popular and I've seen them everywhere this year, but what sets Jessica's items apart from the fad is her amazing craftsmanship and wonderful whimsy associated with each piece.
Religions are large, ponderous collections of memes, while a fad is a light, fast-moving (but short-lived) meme.
Ultrabooks and tablet computers are a short term fad, according to the founder of computer firm Acer.
I would imagine laptop sales will tank once the net-book fad is over.
This beautifully designed volume covers a roughly two decade-long design fad from the late 19th-century that has previously been given scant attention by historians.
One has to wonder though: when this fad is over, are they going to take down all of the references to Twilight?
My latest fad is freezing passata, I use it to make sauce and you just throw the frozen glob into a pan of fried onion and garlic and you have instant basic tomato sauce when it all heats up.
No problem, this internet fad is great, i get to “meet” people I grew up reading.