from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An animal that is one year old or has not completed its second year.
- n. A thoroughbred racehorse one year old dating from January 1 of the year in which it was foaled.
- adj. Being one year old.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An animal that is between one and two years old.
- n. A racehorse that is considered to be one year old until a subsequent January 1st.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being a year old.
- n. An animal one year old, or in the second year of its age; -- applied chiefly to cattle, sheep, and horses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A young beast one year old or in the second year of its age.
- n. Under racing and trotting rules, a horse one year old, dating from January 1st of the year of foaling.
- A year old; of a year's age, duration, or date: as, a yearling heifer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a young child
- n. a racehorse considered one year old until the second Jan. 1 following its birth
- n. an animal in its second year
The value of Bandini, purchased for $500,000 as a yearling, is soaring.
The whooping and hollering of a 12 year old who just tagged his first deer was more excitement then many of us aged guys show on a Booner but most within hearing distance would have thot the yearling was the next record buck.
I am not sure if the yearling is a male or female, but typically female young stay close to their mothers and males go off on their own.
A standard price for a yearling was a plug of tobacco.
Moodie that his yearling was at P — 's, and that he would advise him to get it back as soon as possible.
"He's a big, pretty horse," said Denali's Craig Bandoroff of this bay yearling, which is a half brother to grade I winner Mushka (by Empire Maker).
Star's David Greathouse of this dark bay or brown yearling, which is from the family of grade
"He's a strongly-made, powerful colt that walks very well," said Lane's End's Mike Cline of this chestnut yearling, which is out of a grade II winner and is a half brother to the French group III-placed winner Emirates Dream (by Kingmambo).
"He's a big, strong, well-made, impressive individual," said Gainesway's Michael Hernon of this bay yearling, which is out of a stakes winner.
Gainesway's Neil Howard of this bay yearling, which is out of an added-money winner.