from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An act or instance of filling.
  • n. Something used to fill a space, cavity, or container: a gold filling in a tooth.
  • n. An edible mixture used to fill pastries, sandwiches, or cakes: a pie filling. See Regional Note at frosting.
  • n. The horizontal threads that cross the warp in weaving; weft.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Of food, that satisfies the appetite by filling the stomach
  • n. Anything that is used to fill something.
  • n. The contents of a pie, etc.
  • n. A piece of amalgam used to fill a cavity in a tooth.
  • v. Present participle of fill.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. That which is used to fill a cavity or any empty space, or to supply a deficiency
  • n. The woof in woven fabrics.
  • n. Prepared wort added to ale to cleanse it.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Calculated to fill, satisfy, or satiate: as, a filling diet.
  • n. That which fills, or fills up; anything used for occupying a vacant space, completing a structure or fabric, or stopping up a hole: as, the filling of a wall, of a pie, or of a tooth.
  • n. Specifically Carpeting of solid color, used to fill up recesses outside of bordered carpets, or to cover the whole floor where rugs are used.
  • n. The woof- or weft-thread of a woven fabric.
  • n. In needlework, any plain stitch which serves to fill considerable spaces.
  • n. In lace-making, the simple stitch which serves to cover the surface of parts of the pattern, as leaves, petals, and the like. Filling may either be plain or have a geometrical or simple pattern within itself, as described under escalier-lace.
  • n. In house-painting, a coat applied to fill up inequalities, etc., as those resulting from the grain of wood; also, the operation of obliterating such inequalities, as by the application of such a coat.
  • n. A raised embankment or elevated permanent way, as a part of a railroad, formed of loose stones, gravel, or other material.
  • n. In wooden ship-building, a piece of timber placed between the frames to fill up the spaces and give greater strength. When placed in the bottom, between the floor-timbers, such pieces are called filling-timbers.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. flow into something (as a container)
  • n. any material that fills a space or container
  • n. the act of filling something
  • n. (dentistry) a dental appliance consisting of any of various substances (as metal or plastic) inserted into a prepared cavity in a tooth
  • n. a food mixture used to fill pastry or sandwiches etc.
  • n. the yarn woven across the warp yarn in weaving


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.