from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A fixed or removable cylindrical metal lining used to constrain, guide, or reduce friction.
  • n. Electricity An insulating lining for an aperture through which a conductor passes.
  • n. An adapter threaded to permit joining of pipes with different diameters.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A type of bearing, a cylindrical lining designed to reduce friction and wear inside a hole, often used as a casing for a shaft, pin or hinge.
  • n. A lining for an opening through which a conductor passes, providing insulation and mechanical protection for the conductor.
  • n. An adapter for joining pipes of different size.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The operation of fitting bushes, or linings, into holes or places where wear is to be received, or friction diminished, as pivot holes, etc.
  • n. A bush or lining; -- sometimes called a thimble. See 4th Bush.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as bush, 1.
  • n. A hollow cylindrical mass of steel or iron screwed into the rear end of the bore of a breech-loading cannon. It forms the seat for the breech-block or screw.
  • n. Also called bouching.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an insulating liner in an opening through which conductors pass
  • n. a cylindrical metal lining used to reduce friction


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

From bush2.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.