from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The ornamental lining on the inner covers of a sumptuous book. The simpler styles are of silk, velvet, or brocade. Highly decorated books have linings of thin leather, with borders or centerpieces hand-tooled in gold. See cut on page 392.
  • noun In paleontology, the reflexed inferior margin of the carapace in the Trilobita, specially noticeable on the cephalon and pygidium.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Bookbinding) The lining of a book cover, esp. one of unusual sort, as of tooled leather, painted vellum, rich brocade, or the like.
  • noun (Paleon.) The reflexed margin of the trilobite carapace.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun an elaborately decorated leather flyleaf in a book


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From French doublure.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • leather internal lining of a book cover (used in rare/antique book trade)

    February 20, 2007