from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bollard made from an old cannon.
- n. A geode.
- n. A coneflower.
- n. An isolated part of a coral reef.
- n. (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) A tussock (clump of plant material), found on tundra.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A strong black chewing tobacco, usually in twisted plug form; negro head.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inferior kind of tobacco pressed in a twisted form.
- n. A rounded boulder or rock; especially, a roundish black rock on the coast of Florida, sometimes covered with only a few inches of water.
- n. Also, applied to boulders of chromite in the region north of Baltimore, Maryland, and generally, among English-speaking peoples, to any tough black rock in loose boulders.
- n. In swampy land, tufts or clumps of sedge and grass growing up stiffly, and somewhat resembling a black head.
- n. A spool or capstan for lifting or hauling, formed on the end of a shaft which is turned by power: so callod bocause it is usually black. Also known as a wildcat.
- n. In botany:
- n. The cone-flower or black-eyed-Susan, Rudbeckia hirta.
- n. The common greenbrior or catbrior, Smilax rotundifolia.
- n. A towing bitt; an upright timber to which towing hawsers are secured.
- n. A fresh-water mussel, Quadrula ebena, of the Mississippi River, used in the manufacture of pearl buttons. It is rather small with a thick shell and a black or dark brown outer skin.
J.F. Boepple began, at Muscatine, Iowa, to utilize the unio or "niggerhead" shells found along the Mississippi.
The foe things your niggerhead needs to be fitten for the Big Water.
The boundaries of the claim totalled nearly a mile, and most of it was over the uneven surface of a snow-covered, niggerhead flat.
Though Matzeliger was mocked about his color, and his machine called “niggerhead” in derision, he came to be considered white as the great value of his machine grew.
One of them, in racial contempt, dubbed it “the niggerhead machine,” the name by which it was popularly known later.
On the left side the two worlds matched pretty well, but on the right side there was a niggerhead in this world, the moss-covered relic of a centuries old stump, while that world continued level, so that the niggerhead was neatly sliced in two.
From this side, the niggerhead at the threshold was sliced sharply, but it had been kicked down a little when he came through, and what with shoving the cage through and pulling it back, so that some clods of moss and dirt were scattered in the other world.
A niggerhead rock the size of an egg had caught Bill just behind his left ear.
"It is the bisnaga, sometimes called the 'niggerhead,' belonging to the cactus family, a plant that is ever hailed with joy by the thirsty traveler."
Desert Rats that ever sucked a niggerhead cactus, the feller that goes huntin 'lost mines is the worst.