from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A loud, heavy blow or thud.
  • intransitive verb To hit or strike.
  • intransitive verb To defeat soundly; trounce.
  • intransitive verb To prepare or make, especially with little effort. Often used with up.
  • intransitive verb To hit or strike with a whomp.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • verb slang Hit extremely hard.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb beat overwhelmingly
  • verb hit with the hand


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

Perhaps a variant of whip, similar to whup.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word whomp.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The noise made by the wingbeats of the fell beasts ridden by the Nazgul in the Lord of the Rings movie.

    October 20, 2007

  • Really? You think so? Hmm. I LURVE that sound, but I wouldn't have called it a whomp. Which raises the question... what else would one call it?



    P.s. "fell beast" is gorgeous, innit?

    October 20, 2007

  • Yeah, I like whumpf. Whomp is more like, for "upside the head" or "on your bones".

    October 20, 2007

  • I suppose it is more of a whumpf. Gotta love those fell beasts.

    October 20, 2007

  • Wait, though---what do you think the sound is of the screaming of the fell beasts? I cannot describe it in any effective way, but I always think of the scene in "Return of the King" in which the armies are marching out of Minas Morghul. (What a scene to watch with surround-sound...)

    October 21, 2007

  • I haven't watched it in a few months, but are you sure you mean the noise of the fell beasts, not the screeching of the Nazgul?

    I know the scene - I can see the fell beast straining at the bit, slavering at the prospect of horse-flesh - but I can't bring to mind any noise the rearing fell beast might make.

    I'll look out for it next time.

    October 21, 2007

  • I love that we're having a normal conversation using "fell beast" lots of times.

    I know the Nazgul make a horrid noise, but the fell beast with its wing wrapped around the gate tower at Minas Morghul--that's definitely the beast making the horrible screaming noise. I just wouldn't know what to call it. "Screech" doesn't do it justice.

    October 22, 2007

  • For speculation as to the feeding habits of fell beasts, see whopping.

    November 9, 2007

  • I watched the movie again a few days ago and I heard the noise in question. In my opinion it's sort of a shcrearrrk - sort of Gaelic-sounding.

    November 30, 2007

  • Right. You're right.

    What about the sound of its wings flapping, like when Frodo and Sam are hiding in the marsh of the dead and the fell beast flies over? Would you call that a whumpf?

    March 1, 2008

  • Farmer Palmer whomped the whip in the air, and snapped it lightly on the ass's rump.

    - William Steig, Farmer Palmer's Wagon Ride

    September 29, 2008

  • What would Miss Finster say if she learned that "whomp" is a real word, but it isn't dirty?

    January 22, 2009

  • Isn't this a Charlie Brown word?

    January 22, 2009

  • Also the name of an enemy in Super Mario 64. A giant slab of stone with stubby arms and legs and a big, ugly face. It tries to crush Mario by falling on him, but if it misses, he can kill it by ground-pounding the weak spot on its back.

    January 23, 2009