from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To tap gently with the open hand or with something flat.
- transitive v. To stroke lightly as a gesture of affection.
- transitive v. To mold by tapping gently with the hands or a flat implement.
- intransitive v. To run or walk with a tapping sound.
- intransitive v. To hit something or against something gently or lightly.
- n. A light gentle stroke or tap.
- n. The sound made by a light stroke or tap or by light footsteps.
- n. A small mass shaped by or as if by patting: a pat of butter.
- idiom pat on the back A word or gesture of praise or approval: received a pat on the back for doing a good job.
- adj. Trite or glib; superficially complete or satisfactory: A pat answer is not going to satisfy an inquisitive audience.
- adj. Timely or opportune.
- adj. Suitable; fitting.
- adj. Games Being a poker hand that is strong enough to make drawing cards unlikely to improve it.
- adv. Informal Completely, exactly, or perfectly: They've got the system down pat. He has the lesson pat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. patent
- n. pattern
- n. The sound of a light slap or tap with a soft flat object, especially of a footstep
- n. A light tap or slap, especially with the hands
- n. A flattish lump of soft matter, especially butter or dung.
- v. To (gently) tap the flat of one's hand on a person or thing.
- v. To hit lightly and repeatedly with the flat of the hand to make smooth or flat
- v. To stroke or fondle (an animal).
- v. To gently rain.
- adj. timely, suitable, apt, opportune, ready for the occasion; especially of things spoken
- adj. trite, being superficially complete, lacking originality
- adv. opportunely, in a timely or suitable way.
- adv. Perfectly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To strike gently with the fingers or hand; tap.
- n. A light quick blow or stroke with the hand or the fingers.
- n. Patter.
- Fitly; conveniently; just in the nick; exactly; readily; fluently.
- Apt; fit; convenient; exactly suitable as to either time or place; ready; fluent.
- Pert; brisk; lively.
- n. A lump, as of butter, molded or pressed into some regular shape.
- n. A Scotch form of pot.
- n. A Scotch preterit and past participle of put.
- n. A common name for an Irishman. Compare Biddy.
- n. In India, indigo-plants cut off within a foot of the ground and made into bundles for delivery at the factories.
- n. An East Indian name for jute-fiber.
- Just at the present point: just there; without acting or moving: used in the following phrase.
- Hence— In politics, to adhere obstinately to an existing status or policy, refusing to consider proposals of change or reform; stand still, in a blind or stubborn refusal to disturb existing conditions when they are profitable to one's party or one's self.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. completely or perfectly
- v. pat or squeeze fondly or playfully, especially under the chin
- adj. exactly suited to the occasion
- v. hit lightly
- n. the sound made by a gentle blow
- n. a light touch or stroke
- adj. having only superficial plausibility
One large bundel ob eleventy canz of Hatch Grene Chillies nao being loaded wif foark-lift intu CD-ROM drive slot of computer, *load load, pat pat pat*, adn we pushes teh speshal keyboard-code *Control-Alt-Cokebottle*, adn zoom!
*Puts splorted brainz back in brainpan, pat pat pat*
So heer, Bubbashoomin, yur noo CHRGwdoi *tug tug tug – pat pat pat*
I gitz a scoop fur yoo. *scoop scoop, pat pat* Teh brayns is mostly bak in.
I leaped to my feet again, but only just in time to hear a scuffling noise on the top of the wall, the sound of some one dropping on the other side, and then _pat, pat, pat_, steps fast repeated, as my prisoner ran away.
A little farther on he was startled by a sudden rush as something bounded away from close to his feet; and, as he stood breathing hard, he could hear it go on _pat, pat, pat, pat_, right away, till the sounds died out.
Then _pat, pat, pat_ came the kissing of the water against the bows of the gig, and the sides of the ravine seemed as weird and strange as ever, while the darkness if anything grew more profound.
For, as they listened, they could hear it musically trickling down, and in another part falling with a regular _pat, pat, pat_ on the rocky floor.
However since there's nothing I can do I will have to settle with a kind yet awkward consolation phrase ( "there, there" * pat, pat*) and a half-muttered "better you than me ..."
Nao * pat pat pat ptat* hmmmmmmm * tuk tuk tuk** pat pat pat*