from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act or process of confiscating.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of taking property or condemning it to be taken, as forfeited to the public use.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of confiscating, or appropriating as forfeited.
- n. A statute of 1862 (12 Stat., 589) authorizing the seizure of such property and its condemnation by proceedings in the United States courts. These acts constituted part of the “war measures” adopted during the civil war, and were upheld by the Supreme Court in 1870 (Miller v. U. S., 11 Wall., 268).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. seizure by the government
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Direct confiscation would complete this quickly, often at one stroke, while _confiscation through taxation permits the disappearance of capitalists 'property through a long-drawn-out process, proceeding in the exact degree in which the new order is established and its benevolent influence made perceptible.
The Norwegian Foreign Ministry summoned Iran's charge d'affaires on Thursday to protest against what it called the confiscation of Ebadi's Nobel medal and diploma and express 'grave concern' about the treatment of her husband.
The first step in confiscation of all firearms is banning more and more types of firearms, just to get the weak minded like you accustomed to the idea that taking away your 2nd Amendment rights is really OK and won't really hurt anyone.
Gun confiscation is straight out of the Adolph Hitler playbook.
One indication that the new minting machinery almost immediately and most dramatically increased Abd al-Rahman's penchant for silver, especially kaldar, confiscation comes from the British Agent's communiqué from Qandahar dated January 4, 1891.
I doubt confiscation is going to be attempted in my lifetime, but we've already seen previous restrictions on new sales come and go and there are bills in the works that would expand upon the previous weapons and magazine restrictions.
He emphasized that if caught beyond this limit, confiscation is eminent.
Now I've mentioned before that confiscation is propably not an issue in Canada, but do you know what country your foldable gold is stored?
Gun confiscation is the anti-Christ to the American way of life and our Constitution.
The property liable to confiscation is estimated at 50,000,000 dols.