from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or product of shortening.
- n. A shortened form of a word or phrase used chiefly in writing to represent the complete form, such as Mass. for Massachusetts or USMC for United States Marine Corps.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A notation used in music score to denote a direction, as pp or mf.
- n. One or more dashes through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, demisemiquavers, or hemidemisemiquavers.
- n. Any convenient short form used as a substitutuion for an understood or inferred whole.
- n. Loss during evolution of the final stages of the ancestral ontogenetic pattern.
- n. Reduction to lower terms, as a fraction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of shortening, or reducing.
- n. The result of abbreviating; an abridgment.
- n. The form to which a word or phrase is reduced by contraction and omission; a letter or letters, standing for a word or phrase of which they are a part; as, Gen. for Genesis; U.S.A. for United States of America.
- n. One dash, or more, through the stem of a note, dividing it respectively into quavers, semiquavers, or demi-semiquavers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of abbreviating, shortening, or contracting; the state of being abbreviated; abridgment.
- n. A shortened or contracted form; a part used for the whole.
- n. In mathematics, a reduction of fractions to the lowest terms.
- n. In music, a method of notation by means of which certain repeated notes, chords, or passages are indicated without being written out in full.
- n. ;
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shortened form of a word or phrase
- n. shortening something by omitting parts of it
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Fiat and Alfa separately designed two analogous models, named in military terms AR 51 (the abbreviation is short for 'Autoveicoli da Ricognizione' and the number a reference to its year of introduction of 1951) both with 1900 cm3 engines.
In case you didn't know, that abbreviation is for 'Release Candidate'.
So it goes with abbreviations; if you want to be literal, an abbreviation is an abbreviated form of something.
In the New York Times, the preferred abbreviation is number-apostrophe-s (e.g., 90's), while in many other publications the preferred abbrevation is apostrophe-number-s (e.g., '90s).
An abbreviation is something like ‘etc.’, which is marked, if at all, with a full stop.
The airport abbreviation is MEX, and the official name is the Benito Juarez International Airport.
An abbreviation is when you take the first letters of something e.g. U.S.A. —
We've been given snippets of hints at the Doctor's identity before - in one episode in the Tom Baker era, an old acquaintance knew him by the name Theta Sigma - which is the abbreviation for the Greek word THEOS, meaning God, used in many New Testament manuscripts.
My brain had a complete spasm on the first question, a really simple one - in American jails, pen is the slang abbreviation for what word?
It's also an abbreviation of the Arabic words meaning Islamic Resistance Movement.