from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lengthy, formal treatise, especially one written by a candidate for the doctoral degree at a university; a thesis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A formal exposition of a subject, especially a research paper that students write in order to complete the requirements for a doctoral degree; a thesis.
- n. A lengthy lecture on a subject; a treatise; a discourse; a sermon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A formal or elaborate argumentative discourse, oral or written; a disquisition; an essay; a discussion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A set or formal discourse.
- n. A written essay, treatise, or disquisition: as, Newton's dissertations on the prophecies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a treatise advancing a new point of view resulting from research; usually a requirement for an advanced academic degree
Everybody Dies puts you in the shoes of a chubby metalhead who has smoked his last smoke, with illustrations by Michael Cho; Nightfall drops you into a mysterious city where everyone's fled before the approaching Enemy; and in Violet your struggle to write your dissertation is aided by the most charming voice-in-your-head character in history.
Chapter 4 of my dissertation is all about the way in which some Muslims coerce other Muslims into remaining silent in expressing their moderation.
In the meantime I'm floored by the fact that your dissertation is actually 8 chapters long!
And it goes without saying that the dissertation is a source of tension.
I'm glad that my dissertation is almost at the halfway point, that I'm going on the job market, and that I'm undertaking my own research and not worrying about the administrivia of the department.
I've been told a part of the problem with the first chapter of a dissertation is that there is still an immense degree of fluctuation between what's necessary to a chapter and what will eventually become a part of the introduction to the dissertation as a whole.
Besides, technically, under federal law, unless the thesis or dissertation is actually published, they are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Period.
I passed my exams, the dissertation is currently underway.
I also think the question should be asked as to why her doctoral dissertation is not available until AFTER the election in November.
I feel like I know what my dissertation is going to look like.