from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A removal of excess material from a tree or shrub.
- n. Something obtained by pruning, as a twig.
- n. A method of enumeration that allows the cutting out of parts of a decision tree.
- v. Present participle of prune.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of trimming, or removing what is superfluous.
- n. That which is cast off by bird in pruning her feathers; leavings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of trimming or lopping off what is superfluous; specifically, the act of cutting off branches or parts of trees and shrubs with a view to the strengthening of those that remain, or to the bringing of the tree or plant into a desired shape.
- n. In falconry, what is cast off by a bird when it prunes itself; hence, refuse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of trimming a plant
- n. something that has been pruned off of a plant
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The other operations of gardening are pruning and training, and, as I have already spoken of these when treating of the different trees, I have only to add here that the great art in pruning is to give a clean sloping cut without bruising the bark, as nature will make an effort to cover the wound if the edges of the bark are left in a healthy state.
It came in about 200 words over the limit, so some pruning is required.
Begin pruning your fears of standing out and speaking in public.
Sometimes they must be pruned, and the pruning is painful.
After a severe plucking pruning from the knight, once again she skipped forth through the enchanted forest.
What's shocking to many people is that scientific research is beginning to reveal the utter lack of necessity for most of the one-sided surgery we call pruning.
Drop-crotch pruning is effective, and two or three pruning cycles done in this manner can bring a large tree under control Most shade trees lend themselves easily to this type of pruning. dhelor
Drop-crotch pruning is the practice of cutting back branches and/or lateral limbs to control the growth and form of larger trees.
Drop-crotch pruning is preferred because it has the longest lasting benefits for utility-line clearance and minimizes wounding.
This early natural trimming of unused neurons is called pruning.