from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A mineral deposit formed in a fissure or cavity by growth inward from the walls: contrasted with concretion, which grows outward from a nucleus.
- noun In physiology:
- noun In animal physiology, the process of preparing and separating substances by glandular activity.
- noun In vegetable physiology, the process by which substances are separated from the sap of vegetables.
- noun A substance or product secreted, or elaborated and emitted.
- noun Synonyms Excretion, Secretion. See
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of secreting or concealing.
- noun (Physiol.) The act of secreting; the process by which material is separated from the blood through the agency of the cells of the various glands and elaborated by the cells into new substances so as to form the various secretions, as the saliva, bile, and other digestive fluids. The process varies in the different glands, and hence are formed the various secretions.
- noun (Physiol.) Any substance or fluid secreted, or elaborated and emitted, as the gastric juice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any substance that is
secretedby an organism.
- noun The act of
secretinga substance, especially from a gland.
- noun The act of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the organic process of synthesizing and releasing some substance
- noun a functionally specialized substance (especially one that is not a waste) released from a gland or cell
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
In diabetes the insulin secretion is out of order.
This regulation of insulin secretion is maintained even when the pancreas is surgically reduced to one seventh of its normal mass, or when besides the intact pancreas in situ four others are grafted into the circulation.
Basically, the evidence points to it being carbohydrates — sugar, flour and starchy vegetables — that cause the insulin secretion that put on fat.
By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity.
The KATP channels (ATP-dependent potassium channels), which help to regulate insulin secretion in the beta cells, do not work properly in KATP HI.
The precise mechanism of melatonin secretion in the body is not well understood.
Potassium channels, which regulate insulin secretion in the beta cells, do not work properly in the focal beta cells.
The unpleasant part of the experiment began when the participants had to spend half an hour in a draughty corridor after taking a hot bath, had to wear wet socks for the rest of the day, and were infected with nasal secretion from a cold sufferer.
Bad calories come from foods that overstimulate insulin secretion – bread, potatoes, pasta, sugar, tropical fruits.
It is well known that ingested food undergoes chemical and physical alterations under the influence of the secretion from the mucous membrane lining the stomach.