from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Deception used to achieve an end.
- noun A deceptive stratagem or device.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun That to which a person resorts for escape or concealment; a shift; an evasion; artifice employed to escape censure or the force of an argument.
- noun Synonyms Shift, etc. (see
evasion), excuse, trick, quirk, shuffle, pretense, pretext, mask, blind.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun That to which one resorts for escape or concealment; an artifice employed to escape censure or the force of an argument, or to justify opinions or conduct; a shift; an evasion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun countable An
indirector deceptive deviceor stratagem; a blind. Refers especially to war and politics.
- noun uncountable
Deception; misrepresentation of the true nature of an activity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun something intended to misrepresent the true nature of an activity
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Regarding archives being deleted, it seems to me that a little subterfuge is required here, if you think your blog/newspaper is going to be bought out by megacorp, burn a copy on disc, say nothing, and take it home.
Despite what Zachriel may think, subterfuge is not an Olympic event.
More subterfuge is discovered, and in the end, the unicorn with the Jewel of Judgement appears.
But I don't mean to suggest that this is some form of deceit: it seems to me that the people fooled by this subterfuge are the people presenting the ID case themselves.
It doesn't have anything to add and can only dabble in subterfuge.
Indeed, if Obama, Reid and Pelosi use what can only be called subterfuge to pass the health care bill, what will they be emboldened to do next?
Thank you, HBM for referring to all that which can only remain subterfuge.
The subterfuge was the Ethiopians putting the war lords back into power in Somolia.
The only character who sees through the subterfuge is the ex-CIA agent, abandoned by his country, whose life of dirty deeds on behalf of The Company prepares him alone to understand his role and dig his way out.
So the only way to get in there was to use -- using subterfuge, which is what I did.