from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A substance added in small amounts to something else to improve, strengthen, or otherwise alter it.
- adj. Marked by, produced by, or involving addition.
- adj. Of or being any of certain primary colors of wavelengths that may be mixed with one another to produce other colors. See Table at color.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to addition; that can be, or has been, added.
- adj. Distributive over addition.
- adj. Having addition as an operator.
- adj. Pertaining to chemical addition.
- adj. Describing genes (or the interaction etc. of such genes) which govern the same trait and whose effects work together on the phenotype.
- n. A substance added to another substance or product for its ability to alter its properties.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Proper to be added; positive; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To be added; of the nature of an addition; helping to increase: as, an additive correction (a correction to be added).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized or produced by addition
- adj. designating or involving an equation whose terms are of the first degree
- n. something added to enhance food or gasoline or paint or medicine
The term additive combinatorics is also used; however, the sets A being studied need not be sets of integers, but rather subsets of non-commutative groups, for which the multiplication symbol, not the addition symbol, is traditionally used; they can also be subsets of Probabilistic number theory
These are what we call additive colours, which have a different colour wheel all together composed of Red,
Supporting local merchants that specialize in additive free fish and local poultry such as the Erickson family makes not only a lot of sense but it is an investment in keeping this great tradition alive and well in our city.
GE.N, are ready to try the opposite approach, building parts for heavy equipment from jet engines to ultrasound machines through a layer-by-layer process they call "additive manufacturing."
are ready to try the opposite approach, building parts for heavy equipment from jet engines to ultrasound machines through a layer-by-layer process they call "additive manufacturing."
If you shine a red light and a green light and a blue light together at something it produces white light as those in stage lighting I would presume would know, that's why it's called additive color.
I enjoy reading the differences between so-called additive and subtractive systems.
Perhaps if we called it by its other name of "sodium bicarbonate," people would fear this common food additive, which is in fact, a chemical compound.
After he patented the product and the process, he then commissioned a factory to manufacture the biodegradable additive, which is made from all natural plant fibers.
This is known as additive or balanced bilingualism and is a radical departure from the restrictive models of the past.