from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of numerous organic compounds, such as benzene and methane, that contain only carbon and hydrogen.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A compound of hydrogen and carbon; the general name of any compound consisting of hydrogen and carbon alone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Chem.) A compound containing only hydrogen and carbon, as methane, benzene, etc.; also, by extension, any of their derivatives.
- noun a burner, furnace, or stove with which liquid fuel, as petroleum, is used.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun organic chemistry A
compoundconsisting only of carbonand hydrogenatoms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an organic compound containing only carbon and hydrogen
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Sometimes when a hydrocarbon is aspirated, the coughing does not begin until much later.
In addition, aspiration may occur as the result of re-exposure of the larynx to hydrocarbon from the tip of the tube during removal.
The main reason for concern when a hydrocarbon is swallowed is that the child will choke on it and breathe it into the lungs.
Never induce vomiting when a hydrocarbon is swallowed because this increases the chances of the hydrocarbon slipping into the airway.
Methane, a hydrocarbon, is more efficient IR spectrum absorber thanCO2.
Azerbaijan, rich in hydrocarbon reserves and the current darling of western energy companies, is finding the present situation untenable.
Methane, a hydrocarbon, is more efficient IR spectrum absorber than CO2.
Those who read this blog know that I am skeptical that the harm from man-made global warming is bad enough to justify large, immediate Kyoto-like reductions in hydrocarbon consumption.
Among the experts were a state criminologist, a specialist in hydrocarbon and chemical fires, an electrical engineer, an arson authority and another expert on fire burn patterns.
China faces numerous risks in the Latin American hydrocarbon sector.