from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A colorless, toxic, flammable liquid, CH3OH, used as an antifreeze, a general solvent, a fuel, and a denaturant for ethyl alcohol. Also called carbinol, methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood spirits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The simplest aliphatic alcohol, CH3OH; a colourless, toxic, inflammable liquid, used as a solvent, antifreeze, in the chemical industry, and in the preparation of methylated spirit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The simplest alcohol of the paraffin series, CH3.OH; methyl alcohol. Called also wood alcohol. It is used as an antifreeze solvent, as a fuel, and as a denaturant for ethyl alcohol.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The official, scientific name for methyl alcohol, CH3OH.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a light volatile flammable poisonous liquid alcohol; used as an antifreeze and solvent and fuel and as a denaturant for ethyl alcohol
Windshield washer fluid, dry gas and antifreeze contain methanol and ethylene glycol and are extremely dangerous.
The MIT team focused on direct methanol fuel cells (DMFCs), in which the methanol is directly used as the fuel and reforming of alcohol down to hydrogen is not required.
Currently methanol is still produced from fossil fuels, predominantly from natural gas through syn-gas (a mixture of CO and H2) by so-called Fisher-Tropsch chemistry, which is however a highly energy vasting process.
China Energy signs long term methanol supply deal with Jiutai Inner Mongolia
ACRA to roll out initiatives to encourage voluntary compliance of financial statements Jurong Shipyard to negotiate with Seadrill on sale of jackup drilling rig China Energy signs long term methanol supply deal with Jiutai Inner Mongolia
ACRA to roll out initiatives to encourage voluntary compliance of financial statements Leisure boating industry appears to be recovering from recession China Energy signs long term methanol supply deal with Jiutai Inner Mongolia
That's because it reintroduces ethanol (alcohol) into your system at a point when your liver is breaking down an alcoholic compound called methanol, which is more toxic than the ethanol.
Also, because methanol is a liquid, it is easier to store and transport than hydrogen gas, and is safer (it won’t explode).
That would be the alco-chemicals business, which includes ethanol production from molasses and formaldehyde from methanol, which is further synthesized into several products for industrial applications.
Such fuels would include methanol, which is easily made from natural gas and biomass and, less cleanly, from coal.