from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun An inert liquid or gaseous halocarbon compound in which fluorine replaces some or all hydrogen atoms, used as aerosol propellants, refrigerants, solvents, and lubricants and in making plastics and resins.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun chemistry any derivative of a hydrocarbon in which every hydrogen atom has been replaced by fluorine

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a halocarbon in which some hydrogen atoms have been replaced by fluorine; used in refrigerators and aerosols


Sorry, no etymologies found.



New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.