from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a messiah: messianic hopes.
- adj. Of or characterized by messianism: messianic nationalism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a messiah, the Messiah.
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling messianism (Messianism).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or relating to the Messiah.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating or pertaining to the Messiah, or to any one supposed to exercise the office of a Messiah: as, the Messianic prophecies or psalms; Messianic pretensions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a messiah promising deliverance
Most Jewish sages understand the World to Come as the world the way it will be when it reaches a state of perfection through human endeavor and G-d's finishing touches, what we call the messianic era.
Snowsell’s use of the word messianic is telling, particularly when applied to someone like nineteen-year-old Carlos Torres, who tells me “Morrissey is like God” and is “immortal.”
It would be a caricature to paint the whole country as caught up in messianic fervor.
Hedges: I'm using the word messianic with a small m
It is sometimes called a messianic complex, and makes it difficult, if not impossible, to accept criticism or personal responsibility.
In praise of parliamentary systems: how to get rid of Latin American messianic leaders
Venezuela News And ViewsVenezuela News And Views: In praise of parliamentary systems: how to get rid of Latin American messianic leaders
COOPER: The word messianic was used by one of your sources.
Take for an example, the dialogue between what we can call messianic Christianity expressed mainly by Jewish Christians and Pauline Christianity expressed by gentile Christians.
There is, in Marxist practice, usually also a heroic leader who strongly recalls the messianic hero.