from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Relating to or resembling a drum.
- adjective Anatomy Of or relating to the middle ear or eardrum.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Of, pertaining to, or resembling a tympan or tympanum; similar to or acting like a drumhead.
- In anatomy, of or pertaining to the tympanum: as, the tympanic cavity.
- noun A bone of the ear of man and mammals, supporting the tympanic membrane, generally annular or tubular, forming most of the meatus auditorius externus, or external auditory passage.
- noun Below mammals, in animals in which the true tympanic is rudimentary or wanting, the quadrate or pedicellate bone, the representative of the malleus; the suspensorium of the lower jaw, or especially its uppermost piece, the hyomandibular or epitympanic: so called by some who suppose it to be the tympanic bone, from the fact that it in part supports the tympanic membrane. See
quadrate, n., 3 , hyomandibular, epitympanic, and other compounds of tympanic there cited
- noun In ornithology, sometimes, the tympano-occipital, considered as the true representative in birds of the tympanic of a mammal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Anat.) The tympanic bone.
- adjective Like a tympanum or drum; acting like a drumhead.
- adjective (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the tympanum.
- adjective (Anat.) a bone of the skull which incloses a part of the tympanum and supports the tympanic membrane.
- adjective (Anat.) See the Note under
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective of, relating to, or resembling a
- adjective anatomy relating to the
eardrumor middle ear; tympanal
- adjective music
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective associated with the eardrum
- adjective resembling a drum
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[From Latin tympanum, drum; see tympanum.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.