from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. One that rolls or performs a rolling operation or activity.
  • n. Any of various cylindrical or spherical devices that roll or rotate, especially:
  • n. A small spokeless wheel, such as that of a roller skate or caster.
  • n. An elongated cylinder on which something, such as a window shade or towel, is wound.
  • n. A heavy revolving cylinder that is used to level, crush, or smooth.
  • n. Printing A cylinder, usually of hard rubber, used to ink the type before the paper is impressed.
  • n. A cylinder of wire mesh, foam rubber, or other material around which a strand of hair is wound to produce a soft curl or wave.
  • n. A long rolled bandage.
  • n. A heavy swelling wave that breaks on a coast.
  • n. A tumbler pigeon.
  • n. Any of various Old World birds of the family Coraciidae, having bright blue wings, stocky bodies, and hooked bills. They are noted for their aggressiveness and their habit of rolling and twisting in flight, especially during the breeding season.
  • n. A canary that trills.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. anything that rolls
  • n. any rotating cylindrical device that is part of a machine, especially one used to apply or reduce pressure
  • n. a heavy rolling device used to flatten the surface of the pitch
  • n. a large, wide, curling wave that falls back on itself as it breaks on a coast
  • n. a cylindrical tool for applying paint or ink
  • n. an agricultural machine used for flattening land and breaking up lumps of earth
  • n. a bread or variety of roller pigeon that rolls (i.e. tumbles or somersaults) backwards (cf. Penson roller, Birmingham roller, tumbler, tumbler pigeon, English Short Faced Tumbler, English Long Faced Tumbler)
  • n. any of various aggressive birds, of the family Coraciidae, having bright blue wings and hooked beaks
  • n. a car made by Rolls-Royce
  • n. the police (old blues slang)
  • n. a padded surcingle that is used on horses for training and vaulting
  • n. A roll of titles or (especially) credits played over film or video; television or film credits.
  • n. One of a set of small cylindrical tubes used to curl hair

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who, or that which, rolls; especially, a cylinder, sometimes grooved, of wood, stone, metal, etc., used in husbandry and the arts.
  • n. A bandage; a fillet; properly, a long and broad bandage used in surgery.
  • n. One of series of long, heavy waves which roll in upon a coast, sometimes in calm weather.
  • n. A long, belt-formed towel, to be suspended on a rolling cylinder; -- called also roller towel.
  • n. A cylinder coated with a composition made principally of glue and molassess, with which forms of type are inked previously to taking an impression from them.
  • n. A long cylinder on which something is rolled up.
  • n. A small wheel, as of a caster, a roller skate, etc.
  • n. Any insect whose larva rolls up leaves; a leaf roller. see Tortrix.
  • n. Any one of numerous species of Old World picarian birds of the family Coraciadæ. The name alludes to their habit of suddenly turning over or “tumbling” in flight.
  • n. Any species of small ground snakes of the family Tortricidæ.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One who or that which rolls, especially a cylinder which turns on its axis, used for various purposes, as smoothing, crushing, and spreading out.
  • n. A rolling-pin.
  • n. In printing, a cylindrical rod of iron covered with a thick composition of glue and molasses, or glue, sugar, and glycerin, which takes ink on its surface by rolling on a table or against other rollers, and which deposits this ink on types when it is rolled over them.
  • n. In etching, a cylinder, about three inches in diameter, covered with soft leather, and used for revarnishing an imperfectly bitten plate. The ground is applied to the roller with a palette-knife on which a little has been taken up. When the ground has, by repeated passing, been evenly spread over all parts of the roller, this is carefully passed with slight pressure over the etched plate so as to cover its surface with varnish, without allowing it to enter the furrows.
  • n. In organ-building, a wooden bar with pins in the ends upon which it may be rolled or rocked, and two projecting arms, usually at some distance from each other, one of which is pulled by a tracker from the keyboards, while the other pulls a tracker attached to a valve. Rollers are primarily designed to transfer motion from side to side, but they also often change it from a horizontal to a vertical plane, or vice versa. The rollers belonging to a single keyboard are usually placed together on a common roller-board, and the entire mechanism is called a roller-board action or movement. See cut under organ.
  • n. Any cylindrical tool or part of a machine serving to press, flatten, guide, etc., as the cylinders of a paper-making machine, the impression-cylinders in calico-printing, the roller-die by means of which patterns are transferred to such cylinders, etc.
  • n. The barrel of a musical box or of a chime-ringing machine.
  • n. That upon which something may be rolled up, as a wooden cylinder, or pasteboard rolled up, usually with a circular section.
  • n. A cylindrical or spherical body upon which a heavy body can be rolled or moved along: used to lessen friction.
  • n. Specifically— A cylindrical piece of wood put under a heavy stone to facilitate moving it.
  • n. A wheel in a roller-skate.
  • n. The wheel of a caster.
  • n. Same as roller-towel. [Colloq.]
  • n. A stout heavy sheave which revolves and saves a rope that passes over it from wear by friction.
  • n. A go-cart for a child.
  • n. That in which something may be rolled; a bandage; specifically, a long rolled bandage used in surgery. It is unrolled as it is used.
  • n. In saddlery, a broad padded surcingle, serving as a girth to hold a heavy blanket in place.
  • n. Along, heavy, swelling wave, such as sets in upon a coast after the subsiding of a storm.
  • n. In ornithology: Any bird of the family Coraciidæ: so called from the way they roll or tumble about in flight.
  • n. A kind of domestic pigeon; one of the varieties of tumblers.
  • n. In herpetology, a snake of the family Tortricidæ; a shorttail.
  • n. The rockfish or striped-bass, Roccus lineatus. [Maryland.]
  • n. Same as sand-roller.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a cylinder that revolves
  • n. pigeon that executes backward somersaults in flight or on the ground
  • n. a long heavy sea wave as it advances towards the shore
  • n. Old World bird that tumbles or rolls in flight; related to kingfishers
  • n. a mechanical device consisting of a cylindrical tube around which the hair is wound to curl it
  • n. a grounder that rolls along the infield
  • n. a small wheel without spokes (as on a roller skate)


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

German, from rollen, to roll, burble; see rollmops.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

to roll + -er



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • WeirdNet's on first!

    September 19, 2009

  • In the German tongue, in the Polish town

    Scraped flat by the roller

    Of wars, wars, wars.

    But the name of the town is common.

    My Polack friend

    Says there are a dozen or two.

    So I never could tell where you

    Put your foot, your root,

    I never could talk to you.

    The tongue stuck in my jaw.

    - Sylvia Plath, 'Daddy'.

    August 8, 2009

  • The juvenile shell of the pink or queen conch, Strombus gigas, before it develops the flared outer lip.

    April 29, 2009

  • Also a cool bird. Image can be found here.

    August 26, 2008

  • A wonderful introduction to the world of pigeon stunt-flying.

    July 30, 2008

  • I wonder how long it took the 2000 detectives to figure out what was going on.

    July 30, 2008

  • July 29, 2008. (CBS/AP) "A strong earthquake shook Southern California on Tuesday, causing buildings to sway... Preliminary information from the U.S. Geological Survey estimated the quake at magnitude 5.8, centered 29 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles near Chino Hills in San Bernardino County. Ten aftershocks occurred in the next dozen minutes, including three estimated at 3.8.

    "CBS News Radio reporter Dick Helton was driving in West Hollywood when the quake hit. Helton described the event as what southern Californians call a 'roller.'"

    Seen here.

    July 30, 2008