from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Causing abrasion: scratched the stovetop with an abrasive cleanser.
- adj. Harsh and rough in manner: an unpleasant, abrasive personality.
- n. A substance that abrades.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Rock fragments, sand grains, mineral particles, used by water, wind, and ice to abrade a land surface.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Producing abrasion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Tending to produce abrasion; having the property of abrading; abradant.
- n. Any material having abrading qualities; an abradant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. causing abrasion
- n. a substance that abrades or wears down
- adj. sharply disagreeable; rigorous
She is trying hard not to be negative, although her supporters remain abrasive and insulting.
Ash can also cause long-term abrasive damage to planes that could lead to later disasters if not dealt with.
Remarkably for someone whose truly avant garde music has been described as abrasive, inaccessible, abyssal and suicidally dark "This isn't a funk session," he once cautioned a collaborator in the studio, Scott Walker personally projects an almost wholesome image and still speaks with a Midwestern accent after decades spent overseas; nevertheless, he speaks about his music and his goals for his music with unyielding focus and passion.
It takes a special talent to make it as a guy whom allies call abrasive, brutal, and prosecutorial.
Carborundum is used as an abrasive, that is, as a material for grinding and polishing very hard substances.
He's also known as an abrasive, often profane political operative with a famous take-no-prisoners style that was even parodied on "Saturday Night Live."
Brisbane - The Reds have recalled abrasive lock Adam Byrnes to replace the injured Van Humphries for Friday night's Super 14 clash with the Stormers at Suncorp Stadium.
Thibodeau is known as abrasive, in a state of constant apoplexy on the sidelines.
RealTechNews Mark Cuban has been called abrasive, brash, egotistical and more.
Mark Cuban has been called abrasive, brash, egotistical and more.