from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Full payment of a salary or wages.
- n. The time of such payment.
- n. Informal A final settlement or reckoning.
- n. Informal The climax of a narrative or sequence of events.
- n. Final retribution or revenge.
- n. Informal A bribe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of pay-off.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. profit or gain from an action; -- used broadly.
- n. retribution, payback.
- n. The act of giving or receiving money or other valuable consideration as a bribe.
- n. The money or item given as a bribe.
- n. same as compensation 2.
- n. The climax or final result of an event or endeavor; the denoument of a narrative.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. pay someone with influence in order to receive a favor
- v. pay off (loans or promissory notes)
- v. take vengeance on or get even
- v. yield a profit or result
- v. do or give something to somebody in return
- v. eliminate by paying off (debts)
- n. the final payment of a debt
- n. payment made to a person in a position of trust to corrupt his judgment
- n. a recompense for worthy acts or retribution for wrongdoing
- n. the income or profit arising from such transactions as the sale of land or other property
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It was necessary to continue the program and now it appears, the payoff is at hand.
Sure there's a little risk involved, but the payoff is being able to produce a unique bottle of wine -- not to mention becoming pioneers for those varietals on the Niagara Wine Trail.
Take risks to see more and know more — the payoff is your own freedom.
The former will prompt you to provide quite a bit of detail about your hardware; the payoff is an "xorg. conf" that's extremely well-commented (i.e. the purpose of each section is explained).
The developers don't care: their payoff is the upcoming hight/density zoning restrictions that will be lifted in SLU and Northgate.
After several lines of this, the payoff is the following pearl of wisdom:
That's how it works at Kansas, and the payoff is a return trip to the Final Four.
We had set about enacting a responsible long-term policy—deregulation, conservation, alternative energy—but it had little short-term payoff.
No, the payoff from a policy confrontation with Obama won't be immediate.
Perhaps the payoff is that you, the ruling class, get to give everybody the exact same shabby coverage.