from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The quality or condition of being probable; likelihood.
- noun A probable situation, condition, or event.
- noun The likelihood that a given event will occur.
- noun Statistics A number, ranging from zero to one, expressing either the projected likelihood that a specific event will occur or the observed ratio of the number of actual occurrences to the number of possible occurrences.
- idiom (in all probability) Most probably; very likely.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The state or character of being probable; likelihood; appearance of truth; that state of a case or question of fact which results from superior evidence or preponderation of argument on one side, inclining the mind to receive that as the truth, but leaving some room for doubt.
- noun Quantitatively, that character of an argument or proposition of doubtful truth which consists in the frequency with which like propositions or arguments are found true in the course of experience.
- noun Anything that has the appearance of reality or truth.
- noun A statement of what is likely to happen; a forecast: applied in the plural by Cleveland Abbe to his daily weather-predictions in Cincinnati in 1869, and subsequently adopted by General Myer to designate the official weather-forecasts of the United States Signal Service. The same term had been similarly used by Leverrier in Paris since 1859.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The quality or state of being probable; appearance of reality or truth; reasonable ground of presumption; likelihood.
- noun That which is or appears probable; anything that has the appearance of reality or truth.
- noun (Math.) Likelihood of the occurrence of any event in the doctrine of chances, or the ratio of the number of favorable chances to the whole number of chances, favorable and unfavorable. See 1st
Chance, n., 5.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun the state of being
- noun an
eventthat is likely to occur
- noun the
relativelikelihood of an event happening
- noun mathematics a
number, between 0 and 1, expressing the preciselikelihood of an event happening
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible
- noun the quality of being probable; a probable event or the most probable event
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Latin probabilitas ("probability, credibility"), from probabilis ("probable, credible"); see probable.
Sorry, no example sentences found.