from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The process of distributing or the condition of being distributed, especially.
- noun The process of marketing and supplying goods, especially to retailers.
- noun Law The transmission of inherited property to its heirs after taxes, debts, and costs of the estate have been paid.
- noun Something distributed; an allotment.
- noun A spatial or temporal array of objects or events, especially.
- noun The geographic occurrence or range of an organism.
- noun The geographic occurrence or range of a custom, usage, or other feature.
- noun Statistics A characterization of the occurrence of the actual unique values in a set of data (as in a frequency distribution) or of the theoretical unique values of a random variable (as in a probability distribution).
- noun Mathematics A generalized function used in the study of partial differential equations.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of dividing or parceling out; allotment in shares or according to requirement; apportionment; division among several: as, the distribution of an estate among the heirs; the distribution of justice or of alms; the distribution of parts in a play.
- noun That which is distributed or apportioned.
- noun The act or process of separating and arranging, or the special arrangement secured; separation into distinct order, parts, or classes; systematic or natural arrangement: as, the distribution of printing-types into their boxes (see
distribute, II., 2); the distribution of plants into genera and species.
- noun The act of spreading out as over a surface; in printing, the spreading of ink in an even film over the inking-rollers and the inking-table.
- noun In rhetoric: Enumeration of several persons or things, with attribution to each of a special office, function, or characteristic.
- noun The classification of the topics of a discourse by dividing them under different heads: now more commonly called
- noun In logic: The distinguishing of a universal whole into its several kinds or species: thus differing from
division, by which an integral whole is distinguished into its several parts.
- noun The acceptation of a term in a general sense to apply to many individuals.
- noun In architecture, the arrangement of a plan with reference to walls and open spaces, or to the various services and uses to which the different apartments of an interior are destined; also, the artistic combination of masses, ornaments, wall-openings, various kinds of masonry, etc.—
- noun In political economics, the division of the aggregate produce of the industry of any society among the independent individuals who compose it.—
- noun In steam-engines, the operation by which steam is admitted into and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke of the piston.
- noun Synonyms Apportionment, partition, division, disposition, grouping.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of distributing or dispensing; the act of dividing or apportioning among several or many; apportionment.
- noun Separation into parts or classes; arrangement of anything into parts; disposition; classification.
- noun That which is distributed.
- noun (Logic) A resolving a whole into its parts.
- noun (Print.) The sorting of types and placing them in their proper boxes in the cases.
- noun (Steam Engine) The steps or operations by which steam is supplied to and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke of the piston; viz., admission, suppression or cutting off, release or exhaust, and compression of exhaust steam prior to the next admission.
- noun the natural arrangements of animals and plants in particular regions or districts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun An act of
distributingor state of being distributed.
- noun An
apportionmentby law(of funds, property).
- noun business, marketing The
processby which goodsget to final consumersover a geographical market, including storing, selling, shippingand advertising.
- noun The
frequencyof occurrenceor extentof existence.
- noun Anything distributed;
- noun The
resultof distributing; arrangement.
- noun mathematics, statistics A
probability distribution; the set of relativelikelihoods that a variable will have a value in a given interval.
- noun computing A set of
bundled software components; distro.
- noun economics The apportionment of income or wealth in a population.
- noun finance The process or result of the sale of securities, especially their placement among investors with long-term investment strategies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the act of distributing or spreading or apportioning
- noun the commercial activity of transporting and selling goods from a producer to a consumer
- noun the spatial or geographic property of being scattered about over a range, area, or volume
- noun (statistics) an arrangement of values of a variable showing their observed or theoretical frequency of occurrence
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Latin distributio, from distribuere 'to distribute', itself from dis- 'apart' + tribuere 'to ' (from tribus).
Sorry, no example sentences found.