from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The total of two or more quantities; the aggregate.
- noun A number; a sum.
- noun A principal plus its interest, as in a loan.
- noun The full effect or meaning; import.
- noun Quantity.
- intransitive verb To add up in number or quantity.
- intransitive verb To add up in import or effect.
- intransitive verb To be equivalent or tantamount.
from The Century Dictionary.
- . To go up; rise; ascend; mount.
- To reach or be equal (to) in number, quantity, or value; come (to) as a whole.
- To rise, reach, or extend, in effect, substance, influence, etc.; be equivalent or tantamount in force or significance: as, his answer amounted almost to a threat.
- To ascend; climb; mount.—
- To rise in number, quantity, or value, so as to reach or be equal to; come to.
- To be equivalent to; mean; signify.
- To cause to rise; raise or elevate.
- noun The sum total of two or more sums or quantities; the aggregate: as, the amount of 7 and 9 is 16; the amount of the day's sales.
- noun A quantity or sum viewed as a whole.
- noun The full effect, value, or import; the sum or total: as, the evidence, in amount, comes to this.
- noun Often contracted to amt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The sum total of two or more sums or quantities; the aggregate; the whole quantity; a totality
- noun The effect, substance, value, significance, or result; the sum.
- transitive verb obsolete To signify; to amount to.
- intransitive verb obsolete To go up; to ascend.
- intransitive verb To rise or reach by an accumulation of particular sums or quantities; to come (
to) in the aggregate or whole; -- with toor unto.
- intransitive verb To rise, reach, or extend in effect, substance, or influence; to be equivalent; to come practically (
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
total, aggregateor sumof material (not applicable to discrete numbers or units or items in standard English).
- noun A
- noun nonstandard The
number(the sum) of elements in a set.
- verb intransitive To
- verb intransitive To be the
sameas or equivalentto.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb develop into
- noun the relative magnitude of something with reference to a criterion
- verb add up in number or quantity
- verb be tantamount or equivalent to
- noun a quantity obtained by the addition of a group of numbers
- noun how much there is or how many there are of something that you can quantify
- noun a quantity of money
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word amount.
Upon a careful examination of my pockets, I find that I have not that amount _nor any other amount_ about my person.
Something of Men I Have Known With Some Papers of a General Nature, Political, Historical, and Retrospective
Hesitant ever, she dared not name any amount of the Lord, but that ever present Spirit of God guided her heart, made her _fix the amount_, and then touched the heart of the stranger and fixed the amount also in his mind, and then, by his own guidance saved the letter from being lost, and behold! when opened the _prayer of the one and the gift of the other was the same_.
The Wonders of Prayer A Record of Well Authenticated and Wonderful Answers to Prayer
It will display the amount and halt the program ... echo "amount: $amount"; exit;
When ( "user requests a $amount user license") do | amount | pending "Need to complete implementation for accessing C# object" end When ( "this does not include support") do pending
Observations and experiments on decaying wood have been made, showing that the amount of heat developed by the combustion of a mass of wood, though much more intense for a time, is the same in _amount_ as that which is set free by the slower process of re-oxidation by gradual decay; both being the equivalent of the amount absorbed by the leaves from the sun, in the process of deoxidizing the carbon and hydrogen when the wood was formed.
Gentle Measures in the Management and Training of the Young Or, the Principles on Which a Firm Parental Authority May Be Established and Maintained, Without Violence or Anger, and the Right Development of the Moral and Mental Capacities Be Promoted by Methods in Harmony with the Structure and the Characteristics of the Juvenile Mind
When taxes are imposed upon incomes over a certain amount, the income that falls UNDER that amount is not taxed at the higher rate — it is only the amount OVER the threshold.
Think Progress » Steele: ‘Trust Me, After Taxes, A Million Dollars Is Not A Lot Of Money’
After Exxon posted their billion dollar profits for last quarter, I think HILLARY's idea to tax 50% on their profits over a certain amount is brilliant.
PediaMed asserted that the two medications are not pharmaceutically equivalent because of differences in the amount of active ingredients and the variation from ideal accepted by Breckenridge 80%-120% of the label amount in any given batch, while PediaMed accepts only 90%-110%.
Grandfathered pediatric drugs: compare and save, or compare and be deceived?
A certain amount is apportioned to each pastoral charge to be raised annually for this work.
Even if the Tag amount is just a placeholder for a trade and new contract, the leverage swings hard to Flynn for a strong contract either with the Packers or an acquiring team.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.