from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A trial performance, as by an actor, dancer, or musician, to demonstrate suitability or skill.
- noun The sense or power of hearing.
- noun The act of hearing.
- intransitive verb To take part in a trial performance.
- intransitive verb To evaluate (a person) in a trial performance.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of hearing; a hearing or listening; the sensation from an impression on the auditory nerve by the vibrations of the air produced by a sonorous body.
- noun The sense of hearing; hearing, as a physiological function or faculty; one of the five special senses.
- noun Something heard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of hearing or listening; hearing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun countable A
performance, by an aspiring performer, to demonstrate suitabilityor talent
- noun uncountable The
- verb transitive To
evaluateone or more performers in through an audition
- verb intransitive To take part in such a performance
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb perform in order to get a role
- noun the ability to hear; the auditory faculty
- noun a test of the suitability of a performer
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Despite all this, we heard back about King 4 and moosebutter but not Wonder Voice, and no answer means no "audition"--really call back to sing in front of the live judges
10 November 2008 at 5: 02 pm aww that thing about Rob and the audition is soo cute. lol
But most of her audition was a belly dance for Steven.
The Cubs went with Quade over Sandberg and bench coach Alan Trammell, and the audition was a success.
Even during Hollywood Week, after the group audition, I thought I was going to go home because our audition was a train wreck.
So the scene in the audition was the one where Betty walks into Mode for the first time and Amanda says, “Are you the before?”
Not long before Junebug opened — and before the Oscar nomination that would pull her out of the pack — Adams went on a cattle-call audition for a role that involved singing and dancing as well as acting.
I heard about the audition first, and all I saw for the audition was the appointment sheet.
“The audition was a lot of fun because, um, I really wanted it,” she said.
I felt terrible, personally, because I like Robert and think he has talent, however unpolished it is, and because he had been led to believe the audition was a formality.