from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A session of exercise or practice to improve fitness, as for athletic competition.
- n. A strenuous test of ability and endurance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An exercise session; a period of physical exercise.
- n. A schedule or program of specific exercises, especially one intended to achieve a particular goal.
- n. Any activity that requires much physical or mental effort, or produces strain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I mean, the term workout, you should feel like you're working.
Ok, I hate the term workout, but it seems to summarize the actual activity of flailing my arms and legs about wildly for 40 minutes and / or 'til my face turns purple.
If you can send your, what they call workout package, if you can send that in one bundle so that they have everything that they need at one time, you're going to be more successful then you can send in your materials piecemeal over a period of time.
And as Mr. Vernon himself says at one point in the trailer: The word 'workout' sort of sucks.
Today's workout is an interval run with a couple of five-minute fast-paced intervals.
And so it goes, with the phone telling me to speed up and slow down until the workout is complete.
In August, there was one computer available just off the lobby and it was getting a workout from the German tour bus group that was there for the night.
Among them, the computer technician who invested his severance pay in workout centers, the human resource director who realized her strength in teaching and writing, the financial manager who became a cupcake mogul, and the retiree who created the best recipe for pâté and is marketing it.
People say the workout is more fun in an actual class setting.
If you like Latin rhythms, this 50-minute workout is definitely an escape from the boring norm with an upbeat vibe and a routine compiled from the trainer's favorite moves like Brazilian bounce and toe taps to raise heart rate.