from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A light coming from the side.
- n. Nautical Either of two lights, red to port, green to starboard, shown by ships at night.
- n. A piece of incidental or contrasting information.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A light found at the side of something; especially of a vehicle.
- n. A window found at one or both sides of a door.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. light carried by a boat that indicates the boat's direction; vessels at night carry a red light on the port bow and a green light on the starboard bow
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Interesting sidelight is that Joe Roberts represents District 5, the same district represented by Wayne Bryant, the currently under indictment senator.
A sidelight is a tall narrow window alongside a door
I can vouch for the truth of another "sidelight," though from only one experience.
She did not know, and it concerned her little; for boats, and the sea, and the things and happenings of the sea were of far more vital interest to her than men, and the next moment she was staring through the warm tropic darkness at the loom of the sails and the steady green of the moving sidelight, and listening eagerly to the click of the sweeps in the rowlocks.
President Bush WAS treating the Aug 6 2001 PDF about the Al Qaeda threat as an inconvenient sidelight.
I am wholly and happily addicted, and Australian Newspapers beta has already shone an important sidelight onto one or two pressing matters to do with fingernails that will feature in my next book.
In a potentially intriguing sidelight, the game might reunite Bryant, Suns center Shaquille O'Neal and West coach Phil Jackson of the Lakers if the coaches vote O'Neal as a reserve.
Beyond that, the troupe's home city, Wuppertal, also became a sidelight of the film.
As a sidelight, the straight preferred stock of Bank of America quadrupled while the common merely doubled since the darkest before dawn days.
I also plan to go into investment banking as a sidelight.