from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A book containing an alphabetical or classified listing of names, addresses, and other data, such as telephone numbers, of specific persons, groups, or firms.
- n. Computer Science A listing of the files contained in a storage device, such as a magnetic disk.
- n. Computer Science A description of the various characteristics of a file, such as the layout of the fields in it.
- n. A book of rules or directions.
- n. A group or body of directors.
- adj. Serving to direct.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A list of names, addresses etc., of specific classes of people or organizations, often in alphabetical order or in some classification.
- n. A structured listing of the names and characteristics of the files on a storage device.
- n. A virtual container in a computer's file system, in which files and other directories may be stored. The files and subdirectories in a directory are usually related.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Containing directions; enjoining; instructing; directorial.
- n. A collection or body of directions, rules, or ordinances; esp., a book of directions for the conduct of worship.
- n. A book containing the names and residences of the inhabitants of any place, or of classes of them; an address book.
- n. A body of directors; board of management; especially, a committee which held executive power in France under the first republic.
- n. Direction; guide.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Guiding or directing; directive.
- n. A guide; a rule to direct; particularly (ecclesiastical), a book of directions for saying the various church offices and for finding the changes in them required by the calendar; especially, in medieval English usage, a book of directions for saying the hours. Also called ordinal, pica, or pie. The directory of the Greek Church is called the typicum.
- n. Specifically A book containing an alphabetical list of the inhabitants of a city, town, district, or the like, with their occupation, place of business, and abode.
- n. A board of directors; a directorate. Specifically
- n. [capitalized] The body constituting the executive in France during a part of the revolutionary epoch, consisting of five members called directors, one of whom retired each year.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an alphabetical list of names and addresses
- n. (computer science) a listing of the files stored in memory (usually on a hard disk)
The following functions show both the files & the folders located in a specific directory: scandir () array scandir (string $directory [, int $sorting_order [, resource $context]])
/bin/bash echo - e "What directory would you like to back up?" read directory DESTDIR = email@example.com: $directory/rsync -- progress - avze ssh -- exclude = "*. iso" $directory $DESTDIR
Within this directory is a file called PSAuthor. h and its contents are quite intriguing.
As for the possible load imposition of per directory. htaccess files, the same directives can instead be put into the main httpd. conf file for the Directory/Virtual Host which ensures the rules are only loaded when the server starts, rather than when a directory is accessed.
This directory is an example of how GPO is using new technology and publishing trends in creating a first class, easy to navigate website.
Just like a directory is actually a file in your file system that contains a list of all files within it.
Microsoft introduced NGAD, which it calls a directory federation technology, on the second day of its annual Professional Developers Conference going on this week.
When I returned home I had a PHP file waiting from js-kit support that needed to go into my wp-admin directory to make the Wordpress export compatible with JS-Kit.
Navigation forward and backward through your selected image directory is handled by the space and backspace keys, home and end skip you to the start and end of the directory respectively.
I don't have his phone number at hand but he can be found in directory assistance.