from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To fail to include or mention; leave out.
- transitive verb To fail or neglect to do (something).
- transitive verb To fail or neglect (to do something).
from The Century Dictionary.
- To fail to use or to do; neglect; disregard: as, to
omita duty; to omit to lock the door.
- To fail, forbear, or neglect to mention or speak of; leave out; say nothing of.
- To leave out; forbear or fail to insert or include: as, to
omitan item from a list.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To let go; to leave unmentioned; not to insert or name; to drop.
- transitive verb To forbear or fail to perform or to make use of; to leave undone; to neglect; to pass over.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb transitive To leave out or exclude.
- verb transitive To fail to perform.
- verb transitive, rare To
neglector take no notice of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb prevent from being included or considered or accepted
- verb leave undone or leave out
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word omit.
What some people tend to omit is that these good decisions did not make themselves, they were made by the current members of the Plainfield Board of Education.
One of the things D&D seems to omit is how Godawful strong animals are.
On this account we recommend to omit from the Swedish draft the paragraphs 5, 6, 8, 11, 16, and 19.
The Swedish-Norwegian Union Crisis A History with Documents Karl Nordlund
In its accounting to the world, none felt more keenly than the colored man, that America could not omit from the record the status of the former slave.
The Reason Why the Colored American is not in the World's Columbian Exposition: The Afro-American's Contribution to Columbian Literature 1893
Here are the actual questions and answers, which you omit from the Waldman post on Brad’s site.
Matthew Yglesias » What Is The Problem That Obama’s Bad Advisors Are Responsible For? 2010
Obama, should "omit" he lied to everyone when he made his last selfserving speach regarding Trinity Church, and it's congregants.
Plus you don't see me freaking out when they "omit" the slavery of gauls by the Roman Empire.
Charles see you deliberately avoid the point. you do know what a lie of omission is don't you? you "omit" to tell her about safety precautions.
These charts are long horizontal strips, divided into six sections for the six possible answers to the question (A through E plus "omit").
But to "omit" such studies as suggested by the topics is to negate the value of community civics.
Community Civics and Rural Life Arthur William Dunn 1897
andrew.simone commented on the word omit
'Omit needless words' -Strunk & White
December 8, 2006