from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To forbid by authority: Smoking is prohibited in most theaters. See Synonyms at forbid.
- transitive v. To prevent; preclude: Modesty prohibits me from saying what happened.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To forbid, disallow, or proscribe; to make illegal or illicit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To forbid by authority; to interdict; ; we prohibit a person from doing a thing, and also the doing of the thing.
- transitive v. To hinder; to debar; to prevent; to preclude.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To forbid; interdict by authority: as, to prohibit a person from doing a thing; to prohibit the doing of a thing.
- To hinder; debar; prevent; preclude.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. command against
What Prop K does prohibit is sex trafficking investigations that involve racial profiling.
The terms prohibit the chip maker from providing benefits to PC makers in return for exclusively using its chips.
Defenders of Dayton say its terms prohibit referendums in either of the two entities, and it's not clear Dodik will dare to proceed with an actual vote.
The terms prohibit Google and other firms like Microsoft from collecting user location data from applications running on the Iphone.
Whether the terms prohibit moving DRM-free books to non-Kindle platforms; 2.
And the terms prohibit pricing the item above what the market will bear.
The terms prohibit the use of phony names and harassment of other MySpace members.
It's called the ACORN Act. What that would do would be to "prohibit" - and this is a quote - "prohibit the federal government from awarding contracts, grants or other agreements to providing any other federal funds to or engaging in activities that promote certain corporations or companies guilty of certain felony convictions."
How do you pass a law to make something illegal when what you ` re trying to prohibit is too classified to even write down on a piece of paper?
The settlement terms prohibit me from discussing the case, but it had a similar David vs.