from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
- intransitive v. To be delayed.
- n. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
- n. Music A slackening of tempo.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
- n. Offensive Slang A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Retardation; delay.
- n. A person with mental retardation.
- n. A stupid person, or one who is slow to learn.
- v. To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder
- v. To put off; to postpone.
- v. To be slow or dilatory to perform (something).
- v. To decelerate; to slow down.
- v. To stay back.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Retardation; delay.
- n. A mentally retarded person.
- n. a person who is stupid or inept, especially in social situations.
- intransitive v. To stay back.
- transitive v. To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder; ; -- opposed to
- transitive v. To put off; to postpone
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make slow or slower; obstruct in motion or progress; delay; impede; clog; hinder.
- To defer; postpone; put off.
- Synonyms To detain, delay.
- To be delayed or later than usual.
- n. Retardation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. lose velocity; move more slowly
- n. a person of subnormal intelligence
- v. cause to move more slowly or operate at a slower rate
- v. be delayed
- v. slow the growth or development of
Look, I know the term retard is not politically correct but…
The same can be true of anyone who slips and uses the term retard or retarded.
Finally Jennifer Aniston used the term retard and everyone is up in arms about it.
Get your dumb "redkneck" ass off of the site you idiot non thinking retard, Oh! sorry that would be an insult to retards, you sub-human freak. (i only used the term retard for affect, i do not or cannott have ignorant positions like you, so let me be clear about that).
The term retard has evolved since the days people labeled others with special needs this word.
They have no credibility, so the chance that this retard is anything but a snotty little nerd in silicon valley who works sys admin is unlikely …
Now don't get me wrong, I clearly believe that using the term "retard" is offensive, however, in the context of the movie and the way it's presented, there is nothing wrong with it.
Melissa Wiley said ... it missed the point that "retard" is an insult thrown around promiscuously, so much so that the term "mentally retarded" is no longer used to describe those individuals who actually have mental disabilities
I can't believe this retard is even in office. shmeckel
It is like the proposition that Wealth redistribution efforts of the Government always lead to failure and again retard the economy.