from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- prep. In the company of; accompanying: Did you go with her?
- prep. Next to; alongside of: stood with the rabbi; sat with the family.
- prep. Having as a possession, attribute, or characteristic: arrived with bad news; a man with a moustache.
- prep. Used as a function word to indicate accompanying detail or condition: just sat there with his mouth open.
- prep. In a manner characterized by: performed with skill; spoke with enthusiasm.
- prep. In the performance, use, or operation of: had trouble with the car.
- prep. In the charge or keeping of: left the cat with the neighbors.
- prep. In the opinion or estimation of: if it's all right with you.
- prep. In support of; on the side of: I'm with anyone who wants to help the homeless.
- prep. Of the same opinion or belief as: He is with us on that issue.
- prep. In the same group or mixture as; among: planted onions with the carrots.
- prep. In the membership or employment of: plays with a jazz band; is with a publishing company.
- prep. By the means or agency of: eat with a fork; made us laugh with his jokes.
- prep. By the presence or use of: a pillow stuffed with feathers; balloons filled with helium.
- prep. In spite of: With all her experience, she could not get a job.
- prep. In the same direction as: sail with the wind; flow with the river.
- prep. At the same time as: gets up with the birds.
- prep. In regard to: We are pleased with her decision. They are disgusted with the status quo.
- prep. Used as a function word to indicate a party to an action, communicative activity, or informal agreement or settlement: played with the dog; had a talk with the class; lives with an aunt.
- prep. In comparison or contrast to: a car identical with the one her sister just bought.
- prep. Having received: With her permission, he left. I escaped with just a few bruises.
- prep. And; plus: My books, with my brother's, make a sizable library. We had turkey with all the trimmings.
- prep. Inclusive of; including: comes to $29.95 with postage and handling.
- prep. In opposition to; against: wrestling with an opponent.
- prep. As a result or consequence of: trembling with fear; sick with the flu.
- prep. So as to be touching or joined to: coupled the first car with the second; linked arms with their partners.
- prep. So as to be free of or separated from: parted with her husband.
- prep. In the course of: We grow older with the hours.
- prep. In proportion to: wines that improve with age.
- prep. In relationship to: at ease with my peers.
- prep. As well as; in favorable comparison to: She could sing with the best of them.
- prep. According to the experience or practice of: With me, it is a question of priorities.
- prep. Used as a function word to indicate close association: With the advent of the rockets, the Space Age began.
- idiom in with Informal In league or association with: He is in with the wrong crowd.
- idiom with it Informal Interested in and sensitive to the latest styles and trends; up-to-date.
- idiom with it Informal Streetwise and knowing; savvy.
- idiom with it Informal Mentally competent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- prep. against
- prep. in the company of; alongside, along side of; close to; near to:
- prep. in addition to; as an accessory to:
- prep. Used to indicate simultaneous happening, or immediate succession or consequence.
- prep. in support of:
- prep. To denote the accomplishment of cause, means, instrument, etc; – sometimes equivalent to by.
- prep. as an instrument; by means of
- prep. as nourishment, more recently replaced by on
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See withe.
- prep. With denotes or expresses some situation or relation of nearness, proximity, association, connection, or the like.
- prep. To denote a close or direct relation of opposition or hostility; -- equivalent to against.
- prep. To denote association in respect of situation or environment; hence, among; in the company of.
- prep. To denote a connection of friendship, support, alliance, assistance, countenance, etc.; hence, on the side of.
- prep. To denote the accomplishment of cause, means, instrument, etc; -- sometimes equivalent to by.
- prep. To denote association in thought, as for comparison or contrast.
- prep. To denote simultaneous happening, or immediate succession or consequence.
- prep. To denote having as a possession or an appendage.
- transitive v.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Against: noting competition, opposition, or antagonism: as, to fight with the Romans (that is, against them); to vie with each other.
- Noting association or connection.
- Harmony, agreement, or alliance: as, one color may or may not go with another; to fight with the national troops; to side or vote with the reformers.
- Combination or composition: as, wine mixed with water.
- Addition or conjunction: as, England (with Wales), Scotland, and Ireland make the United Kingdom.
- Communication, intercourse, or interaction.
- As a property, attribute, or belonging of; in the possession, care, keeping, service, or employment of: as, to leave a package with one; to be with the A. B. Manufacturing Co.
- Having, possessing, bearing, or characterized by: as, the boy has come with the letter; Thebes, with its grand old walls; Rome, with her seven hills.
- In the region, sphere, or experience of; followed by a plural, among; also, in the sight, estimation, or opinion of: as, a holy prophet with God.
- In respect of; in relation to; as regards; as to: as, have patience with me; what is your will with me?
- Like; analogously to; hence, specifically, at the same time or rate as; according to; in proportion to.
- An instrument or means: as, to write with a pen; to cut with a knife; to heal with herbs.
- An accessory, as of material, contents, etc.: as, a ring set with diamonds; a ship laden with cotton; a bottle filled with water.
- Through; on account or in consequence of; by reason of: expressing cause: as, he trembled with fear; to perish with hunger.
- Using; showing: in phrases of manner: as, to win with ease; to pull with a will.
- From: noting separation, difference, disagreement, etc.: as, he will not part with it on any account; to differ with a person; to break with old ties.
- With was formerly used in many idioms to denote relations now expressed rather by of, to, etc.
- See the verbs.
- Synonyms With and by are so closely allied in many of their uses that it is impossible to lay down a rule by which these uses may at all times be distinguished. The same may be said, but to a less extent, of with and through.
- n. See withe.
- n. A prefix of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning ‘against.’ It was formerly common, but of the Middle English words containing it only two remain in common use—withdraw and withhold.
Apparently, Blankenship is one of those guys who love to take risks -- with his own life and with the lives of others.
We start of with a high degree of passion, probably still low on skills and oblivious of our special talents…..with time we discover ourselves and hone our skills….we reach a certain level of maturity when the market starts recongnising us.
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 2/13/09: Terrorist in my home town 'with up so floating many bells down' yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Terrorist in my home town \'with up so floating many bells down\' '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Article: An out-of-work truckdriver brought a guitar case into a Unitarian church where I teach, pulled out a shotgun and shot eight people.
I have to disagree with solander- I quite likedalmost loved the Embargo scent..with a little less patchouli and lots more of white flowers and cloves it *would* have been love.
When Obama called him on how he would maintain stability with an absence of any security in the region, he responded that he believed it was important to *work with* the region to build stability, to support that with regional force when necessary, and minimal US engagement - as policing - if necessary.
When the cake is cooled and on a platter, I brush it with a boiled glaze made of one cup brown sugar, 1/2 stick butter, 1/4 cup milk…..with an addition of a good splash of Jack Daniels whiskey!
The Punahou School has always had a vigorous jr ROTC program, and anyone with any interest in service as an officer after college or enlisted right after graduation from Punahou is encouraged to join jr ROTC as a valuable learning experience and to check out what skills and temperment are needed and if the Punahou student wishes to continue in jr ROTC for credits..with no service obligation.
And Kaza, if I find out you had something to do with my bewitched alarm clock...there it goes again..with my keyboa...
Take a picture of your motorcycle with Niagra Falls in the background and then MMS it to all your friends…..with an iPhone you are out of luck buddy.
Lune-atic Yipsie comes with skin and shape with red horns ,..with and without candles red hair,..with and without flowers and bats with her bodytied skinsuit and her rats around her neck she can be found being lune-ing around touch pumpkin on table for lune-atic yipsie move