from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To fail to satisfy the hope, desire, or expectation of.
- transitive v. To frustrate or thwart: "I will not disappoint the confidence you have put in me” ( Wayne A. Budd).
- intransitive v. To cause disappointment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To displease by e.g. underperforming
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To defeat of expectation or hope; to hinder from the attainment of that which was expected, hoped, or desired; to balk
- transitive v. To frustrate; to fail; to hinder of result.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To frustrate the desire or expectation of; balk or thwart in regard to something intended, expected, or wished; defeat the aim or will of: as, do not disappoint us by staying away; to be disappointed in or of one's hopes, or about the weather.
- To defeat the realization or fulfilment of; frustrate; balk; foil; thwart: as, to disappoint a man's hopes or plans.
- To hinder of intended effect; frustrate; foil.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. fail to meet the hopes or expectations of
"Inevitably, all presidents during their term disappoint some of their supporters," said Brian Frederick, a political science professor at Bridgewater State College.
The only way this punchline will disappoint is if there never is a follow up.
A major BSG disappoint is that although the Cylons supposedly had a plan the writers didn't.
One place where small wine shops can disappoint is on price.
However, the EXPECTATION any intelligent discourse from wwallace will result in disappoint and additional frustration, followed by ignorant rhetorical bantering that will only prove their self-serving interests rather than any plausible or factual data to support their claims.
They never cease to disappoint, which is why I changed my party affiliation last November to unaffiliated.
There is no update on it, but it is still an engineering program, but one of the action items after the disappoint was the lack of that launch is that we wanted to really build our
With China tightening and the US dollar gaining strength, prices of commodities would disappoint, which is a negative for Indonesia because one-third of the Jakarta Composite Index (JCI) market capitalization is in commodity-related counters.
But from a purely shoot-em 'up standpoint the movie does not disappoint, that is if mindless, wanton violence with a little nudity thrown in for good measure in your cup of Sunday night tea.
Alternatively, if some late-breaking titles disappoint, voters may add "Star Trek" or "District 9" in order to fill out their lists.