from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To free from illusion or false belief; undeceive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to free someone from illusion, false belief or enchantment; to undeceive or disillusion
- v. to nullify a spell or magic enchantment
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To free from enchantment; to deliver from the power of charms or spells.
- transitive v. to free (a person) from fascination or delusion; to destroy the false hopes or overoptimistic expectations of (a person); to disillusion; -- used with people or events as the agent (subject).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To free from enchantment; deliver from the power of charms or spells, or of an enchanter; free from fascination or delusion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. free from enchantment
It must also be stated that we must be very suspicious of the urge to "disenchant"
“Residuum” is the magic dust that you can disenchant 4e magic items into.
Their brethren, realizing the value of antiquity to esprit de corps, do not bother to disenchant them.
Barack will disenchant his own supporters if he succombs to the wants and wishes of Hillary's supporters.
He will disenchant his base constituency, including me.
A salutary leveling of Voice in writing, rooted deep in the currents of postmetaphysical philosophy — or otherwise the deconstruction of the transcendental Word in all its various mystifications — can rightly disenchant the file of the signifier without going so far as to ignore the phonemic enchainment linked by letters but not coterminous with those scripted increments.
The add-on called Enchantrix by Morganna can help you figure out what you might get if you disenchant an item.
Another rule to remember is that weapons usually disenchant into essences while armor usually becomes dust.
You might even want to start buying cheap weapons, disenchant them and sell the results.
If you do this, always check whether your skill is high enough to disenchant it before you buy.