from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stupid or silly person; a dolt.
- n. A person whose mental acumen is well below par.
- n. A person of moderate to severe mental retardation having a mental age of from three to seven years and generally being capable of some degree of communication and performance of simple tasks under supervision. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
- adj. Stupid; silly.
- adj. Well below par in mental acumen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person with limited mental capacity who can perform tasks and think only like a young child, in medical circles meaning a person who lacks the capacity to develop beyond the mental age of a normal five to seven-year-old child.
- n. A fool, an idiot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Destitute of strength, whether of body or mind; feeble; impotent; esp., mentally wea; feeble-minded.
- n. One destitute of strength; esp., one of feeble mind; -- sometimes used as a pejorative term.
- n. A person with a degree of mental retardation between that of an idiot and a moron; in a former classification of mentally retarded person, it applied to a person with an adult mental age of from four to eith years, and an I.Q. of from 26 to 50.
- transitive v. To weaken; to make imbecile.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Without physical strength; feeble; impotent; helpless.
- Mentally feeble: fatuous; having the mental faculties undeveloped or greatly impaired. See imbecility.
- Marked by mental feebleness or incapacity; indicating weakness of mind; inane; stupid: as, imbecile efforts; an imbecile speech.
- Synonyms and Foolish, driveling, idiotic. See debility.
- n. One who is imbecile.
- To make imbecile; weaken.
- To embezzle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person of subnormal intelligence
- adj. having a mental age of three to seven years
Chagrined as he was at what he termed his imbecile stupidity in not knowing his own heart all these past months, and convinced, as he also was, that Alice and Calderwell cared for each other, he could see no way for him but to play the part of a man of kindliness and honor, leaving a clear field for his preferred rival, and bringing no shadow of regret to mar the happiness of the girl he loved.
These imbecile is in serious need of a few episodes of Bill Nye the Science Guy.
A teabagger win for any office would be extremely damaging to this country, but this imbecile is willing to risk it to teach the Dems a lesson.
The imbecile is hopefully the face of the right for future elections for there is no better way to drive people in the other direction than to have Lipstick Fido show up.
The slobbering imbecile is just desperate for company.
Dorks are just quirky and silly, an imbecile is a person whose mental acumen is well below par.
An imbecile is defined as a feeble minded person having the mental age of three to seven years.
Of course, we can't save those people if some imbecile is in charge of the very effort to save those people.
His sudden change from loving if not exciting boyfriend to selfish imbecile is too sudden and, given what his character actually goes through, almost understandable.
The second objection is even more - may I use the word imbecile?