from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To move the pedals of a bicycle or similar vehicle backward, especially to apply a brake.
- intransitive v. To move backward by taking short quick steps, as in boxing or football.
- intransitive v. To retreat or withdraw from a position or attitude: The senator later backpedaled on the issue.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To pedal backwards on a bicycle.
- v. To step backwards.
- v. To distance oneself from an earlier claim or statement; back off from an idea.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. pedal backwards, as on a bicycle.
- intransitive v. step backwards, in boxing.
- intransitive v. modify one' opinion, usually by making it less strong or adding qualifications.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In bicycling, to press down upon the pedal as it rises, in order to check the movement of the wheel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. pedal backwards on a bicycle
- v. modify one's opinion, make it less strong
- v. step backwards, in boxing
The hospitals — which were the first to backpedal from the initial industry agreement to lower health care spending by 1.5 percentage points over 10 years — objected.
Has marginal timed speed, his backpedal is stiff and high and he often gets turned around by the slot receivers and tight ends working the short area ...
It’s a backpedal from the claim I was addressing, as well as from Matthew’s claim.
NANCY PFOTENHAUER, MCCAIN CAMPAIGN POLICY ADVISER: Senator Obama continuing to dance and, if you will, kind of backpedal on his positions, that he's revealing himself to not be any type of new politician or a new agent of change, but really way too much like the typical politician.
For those interested in tracking the changing Conservative commitment, check the Bond Papers archives for posts with the word "backpedal" or variations in the title.
He can lie all he wants to and try to "backpedal" all he wants, but it is too late, he cannot undo what he has done; he has once and for all, pulled down his pants in front of the entire country, squatted on the hallowed 9/11/01 Ground Zero site and taken a huge PUBLIC DUMP UPON
Obama can "backpedal" and "Walkback" all he wants but it is too late, Obama is nothing short of satanic.
They picked the number out of their ass, knowing they'd need to 'backpedal' later … but 'later' is too late for the suckers who plunked their cash down, isn't it?]
If they then backpedal with the "oh, we're about to file it" then you can simply reply, "Well, when I am served with the copy of the complaint, then you can discuss the case with my attorney, but I have nothing more to say until I have reviewed the court complaint with my attorney."
As I smiled at him, I started to walk backward, then to backpedal faster, still holding his gaze.