from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To deprive of capability or effectiveness, especially to impair the physical abilities of.
- transitive v. Law To render legally disqualified.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To render unable; to take away an ability of.
- v. To impair the physical or mental abilities of; to cause a serious, permanent injury.
- v. to deactivate a function of an electronical or mechanical device.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Lacking ability; unable.
- transitive v. To render unable or incapable; to destroy the force, vigor, or power of action of; to deprive of competent physical or intellectual power; to incapacitate; to disqualify; to make incompetent or unfit for service; to impair.
- transitive v. To deprive of legal right or qualification; to render legally incapable.
- transitive v. To deprive of that which gives value or estimation; to declare lacking in competency; to disparage; to undervalue.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To render unable; deprive of ability, physical, mental, or legal; weaken or destroy the capability of; cripple or incapacitate: as, a ship is disabled by a storm or a battle; a race-horse is disabled by lameness; loss of memory disables a teacher.
- To impair; diminish; impoverish.
- To pronounce incapable; hence, to detract from; disparage; undervalue.
- Synonyms To cripple, paralyze, enfeeble, unfit, disqualify.
- Wanting ability; incompetent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. injure permanently
- v. make unable to perform a certain action
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At the moment we should operate under the assumption that the ship, while disable, is still manned to the brim by the roguish scum.
But to jokingly compare his poor bowling game to an event for a disable is a rare slip for a president who deliberates over every word.
By the time I got there, though, it seems that the 'custom text' feature was once again disable.
Click Yes on the pop-up dialog to labels disable auto fitting
Second, comment out line "exec pppd call dsl-provider" in/etc/ppp/pppoe_on_boot, that is to say disable my previous "pppoe on boot" setting which is configured by pppoeconf.
'disable' -- and it must be expected that every _gentleman_ will amuse himself in shooting at his own property whenever the notion takes him, and if he should happen to hit a little higher and go through the small of the back instead of the legs, why every body says it is
For example, the feature will be opt-in, rather than opt-out: "You will be notified that we will be enhancing your Bing experience before we actually do it, with an opportunity to say" disable "or to go and learn more before you decide if you want to take advantage of the feature," Bing explained.
Verizon may not "disable" the copper lines to your house.
On the negative side, it would be nice to "disable" songs so they don't show up in random playlists.
Well, one approach would be to repeatedly set document.oncontextmenu to the 'disable' method, using a timer.