from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The generally triangular section of wall at the end of a pitched roof, occupying the space between the two slopes of the roof.
  • n. The whole end wall of a building or wing having a pitched roof.
  • n. A triangular, usually ornamental architectural section, as one above an arched door or window.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The triangular area of external wall adjacent to two meeting sloped roofs.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A cable.
  • n. The vertical triangular portion of the end of a building, from the level of the cornice or eaves to the ridge of the roof. Also, a similar end when not triangular in shape, as of a gambrel roof and the like.
  • n. The end wall of a building, as distinguished from the front or rear side.
  • n. A decorative member having the shape of a triangular gable, such as that above a Gothic arch in a doorway.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To give to a roof a gable or gabled end.
  • n. In architecture, the end of a ridged roof which at its extremity is not hipped or returned on itself, but cut off in a vertical plane, together with the triangular expanse of wall from the level of the eaves to the apex: distinguished from a pediment in that the cornice is not carried across the base of the triangle.
  • n. Any architectural member having the form of a gable, as a triangular canopy over a window or a doorway.
  • n. The end-wall of a house; a gable-end.
  • n. A cable.
  • n. In mech., the outer end or tip of the crank in a cranked axle or shaft. The finishing of this is termed cutting the gable.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. United States film actor (1901-1960)
  • n. the vertical triangular wall between the sloping ends of gable roof


Middle English gable, gavel, from Norman French gable (perhaps of Celtic origin) and from Old Norse gafl).
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.