from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A vaulted roof or ceiling.
- noun A small dome set on a circular or polygonal base or resting on pillars.
- noun A domelike structure surmounting a roof or dome, often used as a lookout or to admit light and air.
- noun A cylindrical shaft type of blast furnace used for remelting metals, usually iron, before casting.
- noun A small rounded and domed structure, as for observation, on a tracked, armored vehicle.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In architecture, a vault, either hemispherical or produced by the revolution about its axis of two curves intersecting at the apex, or by a semi-ellipse covering a circular or polygonal area, and supported either upon four arches or upon solid walls.
- noun The round top of any structure, as of a furnace; the structure itself. See
- noun Milit., a revolving shot-proof turret, formed of strong timbers, and armored with massive iron plates.
- noun In anatomy: The summit of the cochlea. The summit of an intestinal gland.
- noun In conchology, the so-called dorsal or visceral hump, made by the heap of viscera.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Arch.) A roof having a rounded form, hemispherical or nearly so; also, a ceiling having the same form. When on a large scale it is usually called
- noun A small structure standing on the top of a dome; a lantern.
- noun A furnace for melting iron or other metals in large quantity, -- used chiefly in foundries and steel works.
- noun A revolving shot-proof turret for heavy ordnance.
- noun (Anat.) The top of the spire of the cochlea of the ear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun architecture A
dome-shaped ornamental structurelocated on top of a larger roof or dome.
- noun military A small
turret, usually on a hatchof an armoured fighting vehicle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a vertical cylindrical furnace for melting iron for casting
- noun a roof in the form of a dome
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Italian, from Late Latin cūpula, diminutive of Latin cūpa, tub.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Italian cupola, from Latin cupula ("little tub"); from Latin cupa, cuppa ("cup"); named for its resemblance to a cup turned over.
Sorry, no example sentences found.