from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A movable, brightly colored cone or shaft of rubber that is used to signal something to be avoided, such as a hazard or work zone on a roadway.
  • noun Football A flexible, usually padded marker that stands upright at each corner of the end zone to facilitate judgments of close plays.
  • noun A tower marking a turning point in a race among aircraft.
  • noun A vertical supporting structure, especially.
  • noun A steel tower supporting high-tension wires.
  • noun A tower or shaft supporting a wind turbine.
  • noun A structure supporting a bridge deck.
  • noun A large structure or group of structures marking an entrance or approach.
  • noun A monumental gateway in the form of a pair of truncated pyramids serving as the entrance to an ancient Egyptian temple.
  • noun A structure that attaches an aircraft engine to a plane's wing or fuselage.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In architecture, a monumental gateway to an Egyptian temple, or other important building.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A low tower, having a truncated pyramidal form, and flanking an ancient Egyptian gateway.
  • noun An Egyptian gateway to a large building (with or without flanking towers).
  • noun A tower, commonly of steelwork, for supporting either end of a wire, as for a telegraph line, over a long span.
  • noun Formerly, a starting derrick (the use of which is now abandoned) for an aeroplane.
  • noun A post, tower, or the like, as on an aerodrome, or flying ground, serving to bound or mark a prescribed course of flight.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A gateway to the inner part of an Ancient Egyptian temple
  • noun A tower-like structure, usually one of a series, used to support high-voltage electricity cables.
  • noun aviation A structure used to mount engines, missiles etc., to the underside of an aircraft wing or fuselage.
  • noun An obelisk.
  • noun A traffic cone.
  • noun American football An orange marker designating one of the four corners of the end zone in American football.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a tower for guiding pilots or marking the turning point in a race
  • noun a large vertical steel tower supporting high-tension power lines


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Greek pulōn, gateway, from pulē, gate.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Ancient Greek πυλών.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "Most of the dock had sunk and only a few of the larger pylons and attached sections were still standing." The Shack by WM Paul

    October 1, 2010