from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A wide, low-pitched gable surmounting the façade of a building in the Grecian style.
  • noun A triangular element, similar to or derivative of a Grecian pediment, used widely in architecture and decoration.
  • noun Geology A broad, gently sloping rock surface at the base of a steeper slope, often covered with alluvium, formed primarily by erosion.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In architecture, a low triangular part resembling a gable, crowning the fronts of buildings in the Greek styles, especially over porticos.
  • noun Hence In decorative art, any member of similar outline, forming a triangular or segmental ornament rising above a horizontal band, as in ironwork; such a member above the opening of a screen or the like: it may be entirely open and consist of light scrollwork only.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun (Arch.) Originally, in classical architecture, the triangular space forming the gable of a simple roof; hence, a similar form used as a decoration over porticoes, doors, windows, etc.; also, a rounded or broken frontal having a similar position and use. See temple.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun architecture A classical architectural element consisting of a triangular section or gable found above the horizontal superstructure (entablature) which lies immediately upon the columns; fronton

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a triangular gable between a horizontal entablature and a sloping roof


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Alteration (influenced by Latin pēs, ped-, foot) of earlier perement, probably alteration of pyramid.]



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • trouvé grace a google translate working on fronton

    March 12, 2008