from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To upset the balance, stability, or equilibrium of: "By being too good a singer, too hell-bent an actress, and too strong a presence, the star unbalances the proceedings” ( John Simon).
- transitive v. To derange (the mind).
- n. The condition of being unbalanced.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cause to be out of balance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To throw out of balance.
- n. Want of balance; derangement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. derange mentally, throw out of mental balance; make insane
- n. a lack of balance or state of disequilibrium
- v. throw out of balance or equilibrium
- n. a state of mental disturbance and disorientation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Forcing small businesses to take on the same costs and tax burdens as national retail businesses is unrealistic, unfair and will "unbalance the playing field" between giant retailers and small-business retailers on the Internet, Mr. Cohen said at Wednesday's hearing.
Our experience of Harold Pinter's The Dumb Waiter, directed by Landon Johnson for Vespertine Productions at The Flight Theatre at The Complex Theatres, is not so much that of a fly on a wall; a fly's buzz would unbalance Johnson's tersely orchestrated suspense tale of two hit men in a Birmingham basement.
Molecule man Vs. Sentry the battle of the unbalance minds
Monopolistic deflationary pressure can unbalance market forces in exactly the same way that state price fixing can.
I see a pattern, that not fair and balance more like unbalance, influnce. .killing, buggings, unamerican action, gun totting, calling the President name in front of the rest of the world go figure, i spent 21 years in the military for freedom of speech, and this is how they repay me and all service members
Now steroids unbalance athletic competition at a level that VASTLY exceeds anything amphetamines or improved surgery could ever hope to.
Fox News is BLIND and are unbalance, they only favor Republicans. addon
Ken Clarke is regarded with visceral hostility in Tory tabloid land, but moving against the justice secretary would unbalance the cabinet and alarm the Lib Dems.
Artworks require special handling as even a light bump can cause paint to fall off a canvas or permanently unbalance a sculpture.
The Popcorned Fish were a delightful treat, everything I could have hoped for, and even the relative flatness of my Mountain Dew was not enough to unbalance me.