from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make narrow.
- transitive v. To enclose in a limited area; confine.
- transitive v. To put or bring into difficulties or distress, especially financial hardship.
- transitive v. Archaic To restrict in latitude or scope.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Common misspelling of straighten.
- v. To make strait; to narrow or confine to a smaller space.
- v. To restrict or diminish, especially financially.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make strait; to make narrow; hence, to contract; to confine.
- transitive v. To make tense, or tight; to tighten.
- transitive v. To restrict; to distress or embarrass in respect of means or conditions of life; -- used chiefly in the past participle; -- as, a man straitened in his circumstances.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make strait or narrow; narrow; contract; diminish.
- To confine; hem in.
- To draw tight; tighten.
- To hamper; inconvenience; restrict.
- To press hard, as with want or difficulties of any kind; distress; afflict with pecuniary difficulties: as, to be straitened in money matters.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. squeeze together
- v. bring into difficulties or distress, especially financial hardship
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Religious vision and religious imagination do not straiten but enrich political and ethical discourse, and the religions, precisely because they deal with the ultimate destiny of every man and woman, are called to be a prophetic force for human liberation and development throughout the world, particularly in areas torn by hostility and conflict.
Maybe someone should go after the folks who set up the rules for the Bassmaster Classic and get them to straiten it out.
Please do not get annoyed at my writing, just trying to straiten up some historical facts, no intention of being condescending
Ail call teh TinyChiropractorKitteh tu come an straiten yu owt.
Ai dont EBEN want to go bak an trai to straiten out wich .
Furst, ai doo ICHC – tehn ai straiten up mai life!
Ise the salty spicey friendly and our current Kafleen has been using a donkee bonkin stick to trine straiten me owt.
This image is actually cropped fairly hard because he didn't straiten his knees in this frame.
Tehy wil tehn prohseed tu straiten aowt teh peep taht hyumeeliated Bountee kitteh iyn suches a degraiedyng wai;
I gabe teh camera teh wutfur an it straiten rite up!