from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short, usually comic dramatic performance or work; a theatrical sketch.
- n. A short humorous or satirical piece of writing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short comic performance.
- n. A jeer or sally; a brief satire.
- n. A wanton girl; a wench.
- v. to make fun of. (Used in Merseyside)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A reflection; a jeer or gibe; a sally; a brief satire; a squib.
- n. A wanton girl; a light wench.
- n. A short theatrical presentation, often comical or satirical. Comical skits are sometimes presented by amateur or ad hoc groups at parties, dinners, or other social gatherings.
- transitive v. To cast reflections on; to asperse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To leap aside; fly off at a tangent; go off suddenly.
- To flounce; caper like a skittish horse.
- To slide.
- To cast reflections on; asperse, Grose.
- n. A light, wanton wench.
- n. A scud of rain.
- n. A satirical or sarcastic attack; a lampoon; a pasquinade; a squib; also, a short essay or treatise; a pamphlet; a brochure; a literary trifle, especially one of a satirical or sarcastic nature.
- n. Banter; jeer.
- n. The skitty, a rail or crake. See skitty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a short theatrical episode
And the call in skit thing kinda sounds similar to what Rush does when he decides to let the occasional liberal or democrat through call screening.
They used the immediacy of the show to throw in a number of hyper-topical jokes from Bret Farve to Chilean miners (too soon?), the show also included just about the only actual skit from the show within the show, TGS, they ever allowed, taking a poke at Fox News.
This skit is from the Russian group Bolshaya Raznitsa, which translates to Big Difference. (via Dark Roasted Blend)
Not every skit is funny, but overall I enjoy the program.
So, the Saturday Night Live/SNL Tiger Woods skit is drawing some criticism, not for ripping on Tiger, but for being insensitive about domestic abuse on the same show that Rihanna was the musical guest.
This is perfect that Saturday Night live will do a Palin skit again and we can all laugh and truly realize how truly pathetic Sarah Palin is.
An Australian comedy skit from the early 1990′s, about an oil tanker that lost its bow.
That Ludacris skit is hilarious and accurate, and I see no problem with it — and I am not usually a big fan of skits on any album.
My biggest problem with all this hubub hearkens back to a George Carlin skit, where he talks about how those in power, and unwilling to share it, use whatever kind of diversion they can – class, race, religion, sexual preference – to keep others fighting.
You got to check out this Jimmy Kimmel skit from the American Music Awards.