from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chiefly 18th-century form of instrumental chamber music having several short movements. Also called divertissement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In music, a composition that has many short movements, a style that composers started to use in the Eighteenth Century.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A light and pleasing composition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In music: A dance interpolated in an opera; an entr'acte.
- n. A piece of chamber music, made up of several movements rather loosely combined; a suite or sonata (in the older sense).
- n. A potpourri or fantasia.
- n. A free episode in a fugue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a musical composition in several movements; has no fixed form
I have begun various cassations [a kind of divertimento], so I have thus responded to your desire.
For example, a piece from modernist composer Charles Ives is linked with a tall wooden chair designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, a tea table with a Mozart string "divertimento" (the very music upper-class, early 19th-century diners might have been listening to), and a soothing section of Brahms 'second symphony with a comfortable-looking easy chair.
Dignita, dovere e divertimento, I like to say: dignity, duty and fun.
Los videojuegos están presentes en nuestras vidas para el divertimento, al igual que la TV, y los juegos de ordenador.
Ah, the divertimento in E, a rhapsody on a theme by Epsilon Oh she's from Singapore!
KUHN: North Korea watchers say that this symphonic diplomacy could be a distraction, or should we say a divertimento, from the more pressing issue of nuclear disarmament.
February 29, 2008 at 11:09 am divertimento fur D no time fur teh rest. moosickle peepls, halp!
February 29, 2008 at 11:10 am divertimento etude fanfare
EepyBird Fritz Grobe and Stephen Voltz, che hanno dato il via alla follia di Mentos e Diet Coke, torna con una nuova e colorata esplosione di divertimento.
For his next “wheel of life” divertimento, he chooses Anni Joan Crawford, a struggling cabaret singer in Trieste.