from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make known, recognized, or familiar.
- transitive v. To make acquainted with.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make, or become familiar with something or someone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make familiar or intimate; to habituate; to accustom; to make well known by practice or converse.
- transitive v. To make acquainted, or skilled, by practice or study.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make familiar or intimate; render conversant by customary use, experience, or intercourse; acquaint closely: as, to familiarize one's self with scenes of distress.
- To accustom familiarly, as to the sight, knowledge, or practice of something; habituate; inure.
- . To make familiar in manner; cause to act or be exercised familiarly or affably.
- To make familiar in regard or experience; make well known; cause to be intimately considered or customary.
- Also spelled familiarise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make familiar or conversant with
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The process familiarizes a text to a medieval scholar, in a way like that by which human beings may be said to 'familiarize' their food.
The receptionist approached me (who I quickly recognized as the kindly-voiced super-sleuth that tracked me down yesterday) and she handed me a yellow piece of paper which I was to "familiarize" myself with.
NEWHART: You know, it really might facilitate things if I just, you know, sort of, read ahead a bit to kind of familiarize myself.
With each set of cards, you can do five thing: First is "familiarize," when you can flip between sides of the cards to learn them.
"We wanted to show our domestic weapans producers among others what needs our army had," Popovkin said, adding that Russia's weapon's industry had to "familiarize" itself with Israeli construction of the Israeli drone.
Mat, please familiarize yourself with the history of tax “reform”.
Doc Jensen of EW. com has a detailed guide covering previous episodes you need to re-familiarize yourself with for Season 5.
I suggest you familiarize yourself on the subject before posting your comments; you just make yourself look really dumb
Worthington: No, I watched it before I started to familiarize myself.
If you were/are the CEO of a SmallCap company whose stock couldn't get attention if you yelled 'open bar' at an investor conference in Vegas, then you need to familiarize yourself with the genre.