from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To accustom or become accustomed to a new environment or situation; adapt. See Synonyms at harden.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To habituate to a climate not native; to acclimatize.
- v. To adjust to a new environment; not necessarily a wild, natural, earthy one.
- v. To become accustomed to a new climate or environment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To habituate to a climate not native; to acclimatize.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To habituate to a foreign climate; acclimatize: more especially (of persons), to adapt to new climates: as, to acclimate settlers; to acclimate one's self.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. get used to a certain climate
It's funny how you can get used to almost anything, like a loud noise down the street, but we are selling our souls if we "acclimate" ourselves to these butcher factories for our children.
But, you know, in truth this is a guy who was raised blue collar, Roman Catholic, conservative in Brooklyn and has tried to kind of acclimate himself to the political environment as he ` s gone along.
In this climate officers and men, gathered mostly from Northern posts, were to "acclimate" themselves for a tropical campaign -- somewhere.
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. to help "acclimate" the Obama daughters, Malia and Sasha, to their new home.
I got in morning before at 4 a.m., so it was tough to acclimate.
Most riders take years to acclimate to the tougher racing, harsher climate and bigger challenges of Europe; but Armstrong simply brushed off the cold, wet weather, fought through the antibiotics taken to combat a virus, and dug deep in the culminating time trial to win the race.
Typically these are men who managed to acclimate to the vast cultural differences relatively quickly, married a Chinese national, can speak some Chinese, and now consider China to be their new home.
Do you buy it, or is it up to Boudreau to better acclimate the Capitals to this year's new defensive style?
The recession has drastically changed the playing field and those who refuse to acclimate will see their law practice sink like a stone.
McCarthy had his players arrive early so they could spend time on the field and acclimate themselves to the surroundings.