American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To acclimate. See Synonyms at harden.
- v. To adapt (oneself), especially to environmental or climatic changes.
- v. To become acclimated or adapted.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To accustom or habituate to a foreign climate; adapt for existence in a foreign climate: especially used of adapting a race or stock for permanent existence and propagation: as, to acclimatize plants or animals. Also spelled acclimatise.
- To become climatically accustomed or habituated to a new locality or to new conditions.
- v. intransitive To get used to a new climate.
- v. transitive To make used to a new climate or one that is different from that which is natural; to inure or habituate to other circumstances; to adapt to the peculiarities of a foreign or strange climate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To inure or habituate to a climate different from that which is natural; to adapt to the peculiarities of a foreign or strange climate; said of man, the inferior animals, or plants.
- v. get used to a certain climate
“Get rid of the competing formats, so that the reading public has a chance to acclimatize to a standard format across all publishers.”
“It is also a fantastic way to further acclimatize before bagging Pt Lenana.”
“You can also walk further up the hill to help acclimatize.”
“McCarthy hopes to avoid the pitfalls of the transfer period this month by ignoring overseas players, who often require additional time to acclimatize to the British game.”
“It took 6 days of walking for 5-6 hours each day, while gradually gaining in altitude to acclimatize (in Kiswahili "poli-poli", or slowly-slowly).”
“Using art and agriculture to acclimatize homeless veterans is a project long overlooked.”
“If worst ever did come to worst, it's reassuring to remember what the U.S. Chamber of Commerce told the Environmental Protection Agency in a recent filing: that there's no need to worry because "populations can acclimatize to warmer climates via a range of behavioral, physiological, and technological adaptations.”
“The Marangu Route is called the "Coca-Cola Route" because it's very popular and can be done in three to five days—but many see that as a drawback, as climbers have less time to acclimatize to the altitude.”
“For instance, they filed a brief with the EPA demanding they not fight global warming because "populations can acclimatize to warmer climates via a range of behavioral, physiological, and technological adaptations.”
“After a few weeks to acclimatize ourselves to the altitude, we move up the Western Cwm to the base of the Lhotse face.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acclimatize’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
for writing travelogues
I don't want to have a list that's too large. So i'll make two
Looking for tweets for acclimatize.